How To Roll Out A Fondant ?

Decorating By shikhamj Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm by chanielisalevy

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:11am
post #1 of 10

I am having trouble rolling out fondant, I bought Satin fondant thinking it would be easy to roll it out better than Wilton fondant , but its difficult to roll out. Is it something I am doing wrong, I store fondant in its container outside and not in the refridgerator.
When I tried rolling out for my piano cake , phew it was so difficult even after kneading the fondant for a long time, when I roll it doesnt move so charmingly icon_sad.gif and now my hand is paining, luckily my hubby helped me out. .
Please can you sujjest me how to roll out a fondant in a easy manner, is it something I am doing wrong, are their any good mats which I can use which will help please anything .. Please help me icon_cry.gif

9 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:22am
post #2 of 10

Try kneading it longer to soften up the fondant and see if that helps. If it's a bigger amount of fondant and it's difficult to knead try putting it in the mixer until it softens up.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:59am
post #3 of 10

I love Fondex. It is so easy to use. I used it to cover nine cakes three weeks ago and it was so easy. I don't care for Satin Ice at all. Watch this video.

elainemc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainemc Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:26am
post #4 of 10

i just bought "the mat". there is a video on you tube that shows you how to use it. basically it is two pieces of vinyl that you roll the fondant between. it also helps you place the fondant over the cake without tearing. i love it love it. you dont need to use any cornstarch or confectioners so the fondant doesnt get that dry cracked texture

shikhamj Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:45am
post #5 of 10

Is it possible to knead fondant in a mixer , doesnt it spoil the fondant ? icon_rolleyes.gif Can we knead it in a kitchen aid, what attachement do we use if we can ? How do you preserve the left over fondant, do you store it in refridgerator. Sorry for asking so many questions, the last night effect of the fondant pain is not gone yet icon_sad.gificon_smile.gif

I shall try to get the Mat , but it is a little out of budget for me now, is their any alternative you know for THE MAT..

Got to try the Fondx, My satin ice started to crack this morning on me icon_sad.gif, might be I used lots of sugar powder while rolling it out icon_sad.gif Dislike it when it happens, all the hard work seems to be cracking..

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:52am
post #6 of 10

With Satin Ice, I always put a thin film of vegetable shortening on the counter and roll it on on that. NEVER cornstarch or powdered sugar for SatinIce.

However, when I use PettinIce, I find that it comes out of the container much softer, so I roll that on a thin dusting of powdered sugar.

It all depends on the fondant and the brand.

PrivateNameHere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrivateNameHere Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 11:58am
post #7 of 10

Would using a microwave so it's warmer make it easier? I usually work in buttercream and I have issues with fondant smoothing around my cake and stretching easily (I use MMF) but I have a cake for a very good friend's wedding coming up and she wants fondant!

shikhamj Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:24pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I love Fondex. It is so easy to use. I used it to cover nine cakes three weeks ago and it was so easy. I don't care for at all. Watch this video.

Where do you get your fondex from...?

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 5:51pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhamj

Is it possible to knead fondant in a mixer , doesnt it spoil the fondant ? icon_rolleyes.gif Can we knead it in a kitchen aid, what attachement do we use if we can ? How do you preserve the left over fondant, do you store it in refridgerator. Sorry for asking so many questions, the last night effect of the fondant pain is not gone yet icon_sad.gificon_smile.gif

I shall try to get the Mat , but it is a little out of budget for me now, is their any alternative you know for THE MAT..

Got to try the Fondx, My started to crack this morning on me icon_sad.gif, might be I used lots of sugar powder while rolling it out icon_sad.gif Dislike it when it happens, all the hard work seems to be cracking..

Yes you can knead fondant in a mixer, I do it all the time when I have a big batch that kneads coloring and it'll take to long to knead it by hand.

To store your fondant, keep it well wrapped in plastic (remove as much air as possible) and then put into an air tight container and store at room temp.

I've heard some people freeze it but I've never personally done that so can't say how to freeze it.

I don't know how kneading it in a mixer will cause it to spoil. Don't knead to much in your mixer where the mixer can't handle it. I usually use the paddle attachment but you can also use the dough hook too.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 9:46pm
post #10 of 10

A GREAT trick I learned from SugarShack - I stand on a step stool so the counter is just above knee level. Now I can use my weight (snicker, it's finally good for something!) My body weight from above makes rolling out A SNAP! Try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%