How Do You Figure Servings And Cut A Topsy Turvey Cake?

Decorating By carmijok Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 6:03am by carmijok

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to do a 'mad hatter' wedding cake...which is scary enough for me since I've never done one...but besides just doing it without it looking like a disaster, I have other questions...

1. how do you figure servings--it is carved after all--and
2. how do you cut it to serve? This cake will be cut by a non-professional and I need to be able to tell her...preferably with a diagram.

I am not doing tapered sides...but I am slicing the tops diagonal and setting the tiers inside the carved bottom tier...hopefully straight.
I have to have 100 servings...any thoughts on sizes? I was thinking 6, 9, 12 but don't know if this type of cake will lend itself to the same quantities.
Any and all help is appreciated!! icon_surprised.gif

6 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #2 of 7

This may not be the "norm" but this is what I do and it works for me! I use the same serving size as my party cakes, and same cutting guide. The only difference is I charge $1 more per serving for the extra layer of cake. At $2.50 per serving for a regular BC/fondant accent cake, $3.50 is enough profit for me to justify the price, but not so much I would scare off every buyer! Its just easier for me to do it this way. Keeps my paper work down and things I must remember to say "okay, 6in, 12 servings, done. 8 in, 20 servings. done." Instead of "a 6in topsy turvy serves how many???" Yep. HTH!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #3 of 7

If you slice the top and then flip it over to make the angle, then you are really not removing any cake. If you taper the sides a tad, that amount of cake is negligible. So I use the same serving chart as I would normally use. But of course I do charge extra because its more work to cut and stack a topsy cake than a regular cake.

It would be the same method of serving as well, although I'd suggest they cut a little smaller on the high side, and a little larger on the low side.

carmijok Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

If you slice the top and then flip it over to make the angle, then you are really not removing any cake. If you taper the sides a tad, that amount of cake is negligible. So I use the same serving chart as I would normally use. But of course I do charge extra because its more work to cut and stack a topsy cake than a regular cake.

It would be the same method of serving as well, although I'd suggest they cut a little smaller on the high side, and a little larger on the low side.

So basically you still remove the tiers before cutting...is that any more a mess than just regular stacked cakes?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:43am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

So basically you still remove the tiers before cutting...is that any more a mess than just regular stacked cakes?

If you use the cutout method of stacking, then it should be just about the same, for the most part!

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 4:36am
post #6 of 7

I do not care as much about how they slice it, as much as I care about getting paid for the amount of work I am putting into it. Give the entire cake as one serving for all I care! I have watched "non-pros" cut one of my topsy turvy cakes, and they all seem to cut the taller side of the cake in smaller slices. My cakes are carved out where they fit together, so the same mess for slicing as a regular tiered cake LOL!

carmijok Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 6:03am
post #7 of 7

Thanks all! This is one cake I'm going to have to practice for...may as well practice taking it apart and cutting it too! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%