When A Client Cancels A Contract Do You Get It In Writing?

Business By Dreme Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 3:07am by Kitagrl

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 6

I just had my first couple ever cancel due to a family emergency. The cancellation policy is not a problem as it has already been laid out what will happen. Since this is the first time this has ever happened, I never thought about how to make it official in writing or document this. Right now I have an email from the bride but I feel I need some sort of agreement to release both parties from the contract.

What do you when someone cancels the contract to officially document it? Does anyone have a release form or something that they use?

TIA

5 replies
cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

Since you do have an email from the client I would think that's good enough. You can always snail mail a copy of the contract with "cancelled" written on it just to cover your bases. If she's dealing with a family emergency then I'm guessing she considers the matter closed and doesn't want to be bothered.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #3 of 6

The email is enough for me. If she's dealing with something big enough to cancel a wedding, don't bother her with minutia.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:27am
post #4 of 6

I had a prospective bride email 2 weeks before the wedding which read "I am not getting married on May ... and will not be getting married later". I couldn't even think how to respond. I let it stand at that.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:53am
post #5 of 6

Apart from replying tot he email to confirm the cancellation, I would consider the matter closed.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #6 of 6

I agree the email is fine.

I recently had a lady order a wedding and groom's cake but then cancel the groom's cake...I did ask her to sign something agreeing the groom's part was cancelled since she had deposits and contracts on both cakes...(she said she did sign it but I never got it, but at least I had the emails confirming it which was really enough).

Otherwise yeah, the few cancellations I've had, I considered the email and my reply to be plenty. Especially weddings...its usually a very stressful thing and they really just want to be done with it all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%