Need Help Complaints Of Dry Cupcakes And Cakes

Baking By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 12:31am by Creative_Cookies_Cakes

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 7

I have been making cupcakes and cakes for some time now. I recently have been getting complaints of the cupcake and cakes being dry. What do you think I am doing wrong. I moved into a store here in town and I am doing business out of there. So I am using a different oven. I am thinking the oven has different temperatures. I made three different carrot cakes with the same amount of dough in them and all three got done at a different time. Any ideas would be appreciated!! Thank you in advance.

6 replies
Pieceofcakebyrita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pieceofcakebyrita Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 7

Put a thermometer in your oven and check that the temp is consistent with what the digital display says. If it's not always consistent that might have something to do with it? Or make a cake to completion and try it as your customers would eat it? You know what your cake is supposed to taste like so if you eat some you can tell if it actually is dry or maybe just a coincidence. Also something else just popped into my head...Are you using a convection oven? If so, maybe your fan is to high and drying out the cake, I've herd that can be the difference between a conventional oven and convection.

mysweetsugar75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetsugar75 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:29pm
post #3 of 7

Convection oven was the first thing that popped into my mind. I'm not positive (Maybe Pros will know for certain) but I'm thinking Convection ovens should be lowered by 25 degrees versus your home conventional oven. I have a home convection oven and I bake at 325 degrees.

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 7

I will get a oven thermometer. What oven does every think is a good oven?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 7

Are you using a convection oven in your new shop? If so,drop the temperature 50 degrees and watch the results. You may need to do LOTS of quality control to learn the optimal oven settings and bake times. Be prepared to gain a few pounds. (We all need to make that sacrifice for our businesses!)

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 7

try putting a pie tin or sheet pan of water in your oven on the bottom rack - my old kitchen had a convection oven that dried everything out unless we did that. something to do with the fan being too powerful even though it was turned down. it was also an older oven.

jen

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 12:31am
post #7 of 7

I will get a oven thermometer. What oven does every think is a good oven?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%