Does Freezing Buttercream Covered Cakes Cause Air Bubbles?

Decorating By dchinda Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 3:00pm by katj012

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 4

I am so frustrated! This week I had to make 3 small cakes & one two tiered cake for my family's birthdays & parent's anniversary. I have had problems in the past with my BC being smashed when I cover my cake with fondant. So I decided to put the cakes in the freezer for about a 1/2 hour so the BC can set up before I cover in fondant. I covered & smoothed my fondant on the cakes & they looked great until about an hour to 2 hours later. Every single cake had one major air bubble. I even tried puncturing the bubble with a pin but it seems like the air bubble was in my BC or it just didn't want to burst. Can anyone help me with what I should do differently?

3 replies
PoodleDoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PoodleDoodle Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 4

I've had buttercream get bubbles after sitting for a while. My understanding is that the cake has air in it and if you don't let the cake sit long enough for the air to escape, then you run the risk of bubbles. Now after crumb coating, I let my cakes sit covered in cling wrap over night & haven't had that happen again.

Hope this helps. I don't have a suggestion on how to fix your cakes. Sorry!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 4

I don't think the problem is with freezing the cake. One bakery I worked at froze all their buttercream covered cakes and never had an issue with air bubbles.

Hope you find a solution to your cake problems.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 4

In my last cake decorating class, our chef instructor told us to dirty ice our cakes with some initial buttercream, and let the continue mixing on low the entire time I was dirty icing and letting that cake set. That way all of the air was gone out of the buttercream (we mad Italian Meringue Buttercream), and it had a real nice sheen to it as well (which didn't matter as it was being covered in fondant). I think that helped a lot for me though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%