Custom Airbrush Colours/lustres

Decorating By nanefy Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm by JanetBme

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

OK, So next purchase for me is going to be an airbrush. I've had my fill of painting lustres etc onto cakes, with the end result always looking rubbish (well rubbish to me). So airbrush it is.

The problem I have is that airbrush colours are EXPENSIVE!!! Can you make up your own colours using vodka and food colouring? I was thinking that for the likes of silver, I could use vodka and silver/gold lustre dust for the metallic colours and vodka and gel paste for everything else? Am I wrong?

Any tips would be welcome icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 8

Well you can as that is how some decoraters make silver,gold etc...but for the solid colors I would simply buy the airbrush colors.I mix the colors all the time for custom hues like burgundy etc...I wouldn't try and water gel colors down with vodka or everclear as the tiny particles in the gels can cause the airbrush to clog and be even more of a hassle.I would break down and buy them.JMO

nanefy Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 8

so it's OK to mix powders with vodka? this wont clog up the nozzle?? I'd be interested to know how much vodka to add to the powder etc?

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 8

I agree. I bought the regular colors for around 16 and the sheen colors for about 23 (12 per box) over a year ago and still havnt emptied them yet! It doesnt take alot. I mix them to create different colors too.
I would be afraid that the little bits that didnt dissolve would clog the airbrush.

nanefy Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #5 of 8

what is the best brand of airbrush colours? Specifically I am looking for a company that also does a great realistic gold and silver. I don't want a tacky looking gold, I want one that looks real and some that I've seen look more yellow than gold.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #6 of 8

Nanefy,

I wouldn't suggest you mix powders and vodka...Buy the colors pre mixed.You are asking for problems with your airbrush if you do..I mentioned that some deocraters do this but if you are new to airbrushing I would steer away from that way.

sugarplumfairycanada Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarplumfairycanada Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 8

Hi,
I bit the bullet and bought the 12 pack of airbrush colours. I also have gold, silver and white pearl colours. I live 4 hours away from a cake decorating supply store so I add plan on adding a few more pearly colours the next time I am there. Trust me, your time is worth more than the money you would spend monkeying around to make the colours. I would think it would be hard to have consistent results each time and what happens if you mix too much or not enough of one colour and you are in the middle of decorating a cake?

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 8

Mix the dusts with vodka or everclear. Most of the pre-mixed luster colors seperate and tend to clog more. They don't give you a pretty silver or gold either-

You can make "custom" metallics by mixing regular airbrush color with luster dusts (i.e. red airbrush color mixed with gold luster dust gives you a gorgeous deep red with a golden undertone.) Just do NOT mix any alcohol or water with it- then it will clump up. YOu have to use either the alcohol or the airbrush color- but not both at the same time.

on another note- they sell some dusts called "highlighters" they are a bright metallic- but they are NOT edible so don't get them unless you want to do small things that are removed. They don't mix with everclear or vodka well either- I think I remember using rum and it finally mixed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%