Piping Filigree????

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm by Elcee

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 4:23am
post #1 of 2

I have found some really pretty Filigree patterns online. But I am wondering about the technique? I read that you put the pattern underneath some parchment paper then trace over the pattern with royal icing. After the royal icing has set then you peel the parchment away and then place it on the cake. Is that true or there is an easier way to get the pattern onto the cake it self. Just wondering for future reference. Also how would you get it to stick to a fondant covered cake? Thank you for any advice on this subject

1 reply
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 2

If you do it that way you could attach it to the cake with dots of royal icing. Your pieces would dry flat, though, I think.

You can do it with chocolate; pipe your pattern onto waxed or parchment paper and let it set a bit and transfer it to the cake while it is still flexible. I know Wilton has a version of that techniqe in one of their recent yearbooks, I just don't know which one.

Another option is to hold the pattern on the side of the cake and make tiny pinpricks to trace it onto the cake. You'd then remove the paper and pipe over the pinpricks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%