Support For Large Crystal Topper

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm by EmilyGrace

EmilyGrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyGrace Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a 6" wedding cake and cupcakes for friends and the bride would like to use her mothers very large crystal wedding cake topper. It's about 10" high and the base is about 3.5" across, the base is also shaped like a bell, it's not solid across the bottom. Any idea on how to support this? It's not super heavy... but I don't want to chance it.
Thanks for the help!

8 replies
AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 9

I have had to put mostrously huge heavy toppers on some of the cakes I did in the past. I used bubble straws, it was fine.

EmilyGrace Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 9

Did you put the straws just underneath the ring of the topper? (The bottom of the topper is concaved). How did you secure it? royal icing? It's so tall I'm worried about it toppling!

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 9

Oh, didn't see the bell shaped part. I would probably cut a piece of foam core or even plywood slightly smaller than the diameter of the bell, so it could slip (barely) inside, but still be as level to the bell itself, and then you'd have an entire round base to support instead...yeah?

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 9

Of course, cover the piece of whatever you are using on the side touching the cake (plastic wrap/parcment paper/something.

EmilyGrace Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:33pm
post #6 of 9

Wouldn't it show through the crystal? Should I just cover the support plate in fondant too? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 9

You know, I'm batting a thousand today with not paying attention. Ok, yeah probably. So. Hmmmm. Well, if it's a white cake, maybe not? Is this bell beveled and cut, or faceted like a crystal pendant is? Cause if so, then I don't think you'd see it, it would just be all "fractalled" (not a word, I know) and you probably wouldn't notice it. If not....I don't know what to do. The only other thing I can think of would be some sort of soup can shaped thin cylinder (like an overseized bubble straw) that was the same dimension as the bell bottom, inserted into the cake to support it all the way around. And I doubt that there is such a thing short of a soup can.

AnotherCaker Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

Wouldn't it show through the crystal? Should I just cover the support plate in fondant too? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

I would probably just do this really.

EmilyGrace Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 11:44pm
post #9 of 9

Haha, okay, I'll rig something up! Thanks again for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%