Storing Hi-Ratio Shortening?

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm by Kitagrl

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All-

Quick question- I was given about 35 lbs of hi-ratio shortening form one of the culinary teachers I work with- it is not boxes- in its original blue bag( they had it in a drwaer for easy access).

I wanted to break it up into 2 or 3 cup portions for buttercream- I thought I wuld use freezer ziplocks- as i don't have a lot of space in my freezer-what can I do with it?

1) does it even have to be frozen?
2) will it be ok at room temp?
3)any sugestions (besides weighing- no scale) for the easiest wayto break this stuff down?

Thanks in advance for any suggerstions

Mo

6 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 7

I use a 1/3 cup ice cream scoop and it can be kept at room temp

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 7

I am by no means an authority on high ratio shortening, but I will tell you that the only time I had an issue with it was when I froze some...it developed small dots that didn't like to fully incorporate into the icing.

I like to portion it out in measured amounts, place in zip lock bags, put the bags in a covered cardboard box (to protect it from light) and keep the box in a cool spot.

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 7

I measure it out into 1 Cup portions, place into individual plastic bags and keep in cool, dry place. It will keep for months at room temp. Of course, it is just like any other shortening if it is not used it can go rancid.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 7

I buy 50lbs from bakemark. Now the box says it expires in year and keep in a cool and dark place. Even with other brands needs to be kept in cool and dark place (pantry). With barkmark brand, did a test run and froze 3lbs, used two months later - no problems for me. So, I freeze have the box, 3lbs bag and keep the rest in my pantry.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 7

THANK YOU so much for your guidance-yeah- I'll be able to use it now throughout the summer!

happy caking all!

Mo

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 7

I keep mine in the blue bag, which is kept in the original cardboard box, on the bottom shelf of a rack in the kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%