Help! Any Allergy Recipes For My Son.

Baking By ebraham Updated 30 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm by ebraham

ebraham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebraham Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 10

HI all,

My son is allergic to eggs and milk. Any recipes for cakes?

Also, is there anything else that we can put in to make the icing crust beside Meringue Powder, something that doesn't have egg in it?

Thanks,
Emily

9 replies
ladyanaely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyanaely Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 10

Is he allergic to duck eggs to? If not give it try, some people that are allegic to chicken eggs are not allergic to duck eggs, you can google it. For the milk, you can always try soy, almond, rice or coconut milk.

lacie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lacie Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 10

if you don't mind using mixes: target, fresh market and whole foods carry gluten free, egg and dairy free cake mixes and i know fresh market also has frosting mixes that are also.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 10

If you try the recipe requests forum you should find lots of posts about this but effectively any vegan recipe should be ok.
Is butter out too? Egg substitute and soya might be able to be subbed in any recipe but I'm not sure because I havent done it myself.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 10

Crusting has to do with the sugar to fat ratio. If you have the right ratio then it will crust, with out meringue powder.

A 1 cup fat (butter/crisco) and a 1lb powder sugar, is a good place to start. The more the sugar, the faster the crust, the more the fat the slower to crust.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 10

We make egg-free and dairy-free cakes every week, there are plenty of excellent recipes available online (search for "vegan cake").

Cherrybrook Kitchen makes a line of egg/dairy/nut-free mixes as well as frosting, you can find them at most Whole Foods locations or order them online:
http://www.cherrybrookkitchen.com/

ebraham Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you everyone! Keep your fingers crossed.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 10

"Wacky Cake" (recipes online) is a pretty good chocolate cake that is egg and dairy free....

And you can make an icing with all shortening, Wilton style, using butter flavor and vanilla flavor and water as the liquid.

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 29 Jun 2011 , 9:53pm
post #9 of 10

One of my favorite cookbooks is Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. TONS of amazing recipes...no milk, no eggs.

ebraham Posted 30 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 10

Can you refrigerate a cake the day before you ice it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%