Licensed To Sell Cake Toppers On Etsy?

Decorating By chelseak Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 2:02pm by KathysCC

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 5:30am
post #1 of 4

This MAY be a dumb question icon_razz.gif ...I work in a bakery but I like to make gumpaste figures and things like that at home. Do you need to be licensed to sell cake toppers (from home) on sites like Etsy? If I had to I could make them at work on my own time, but I'm just know, in case I was too lazy to walk to work or something, lol icon_lol.gif

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 1:36am
post #2 of 4

I don't know if you have to have a business license, but you do have to declare the income at tax time. I have an etsy shop and I can tell you that it's not a huge moneymaker, it's something to do on the side. I sell enough to be happy with it, but I'm not quitting my day job!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 5:17am
post #3 of 4

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured! I guess as long as make enough to cover what it costs me (plus taxes lol icon_cry.gif ) I'm happy! I don't get to be very creative at work, so it would be a good outlet for me...

Thanks for the input thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 4

I'm pretty sure that if you are selling a food item, that you have to be licensed. I know that Ebay does not even allow food items to be sold. Well, you see them on there but it is against Ebay policy. You should check the rules for the Etsy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%