Question About Cake Dummies....

Decorating By handovertheasparagus Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 12:58am by handovertheasparagus

handovertheasparagus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handovertheasparagus Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a wedding cake for a friend of mine...the wedding is in two weeks. She had a lot of different ideas for it, but we have finally have it figured out.

The cake is going to be 4 tiers: 6in,8in, 10in, and 12in. Now she has decided that she wants 'spacers' between each tier. So, I ordered 7 dummies: 3 for the spacers and 4 the same size as the cakes. (I thought it would be nice to play with). I wasn't sure what the size difference should be, so I ordered the 6, 8, 10, and 12 in dummies 4in thick, and the others are 5, 7, and 9 in 3in thick.

I got them in today...but it looks funny to me. The bottom tiers look fine, but its the top two that look a little off... I'm wondering if the spacers should have been 2 in high instead of 3...

What would you recommend?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:17am
post #2 of 4

The size of the spacers to use is just what looks best to you. Personally I prefere 2" tall spacers. I also prefere smaller ones. I'd probably would have gone with 4, 6, and 6" spacers between the tiers. But that's just the look I like.
The smaller the diamater, the taller the round will look. That's why you think the two top ones look off. The eye is fooled to think it is taller than it is.
When I make a cake w/a 6" round toptier I almost always make it 3" tall instead of 4" = even when the otheer tiers are all 4" tall.
I think once the whole cake is put together you will find it looks good. Don't get all stressed out about it icon_smile.gif

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:22am
post #3 of 4

Personally I like my spaces 2" tall and 2" round less than the tier it is supporting.

Thats the beuty of playing with dummy cakes, you can test drive a cake design. If you really dont like it and have time to order new spacers then do that and try it again- cake dummies never go to waste!

handovertheasparagus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handovertheasparagus Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

The smaller the diamater, the taller the round will look. That's why you think the two top ones look off. The eye is fooled to think it is taller than it is.

!! I was telling my husband it was almost like an optical illusion! I kept telling myself I KNEW they were the same size, but it just didn't LOOK like it lol.

I do have enough time to order more, so I will def do that, as well as making the top tier 3in instead of 4. Good idea!

I've been having so much fun with the 7 dummies I got...stacking them different ways and swapping them around... I don't know why I haven't done this before! So many fun ideas are popping into my head!

Thanks bunches!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%