Cotton Candy Frosting!! Need Help :)

Baking By clogalert23 Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 3:10am by clogalert23

clogalert23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clogalert23 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,

I need a good recipe for a tasty (key word) cotton candy frosting. I prefer buttercreams, but might be okay with a meringue of sorts. Here's the deal, I like my frostings super flavorful - so I really want to taste the cotton candy. And cotton candy does have a distinct, burnt sugar like, flavor. I've tried a few already:

1. The lorann oil - I must have used like 1/2 tsp (about 80 drops) and couldn't taste after mixing it into 2 sticks of butter and about 3.5 cups of powdered sugar. I wasn't getting the cotton candy association.

2. I tried boiling down 1 c of cotton candy soda which really tasted like cotton candy....boiled down to 1/4 c and added that to the 2 sticks of butter and 3.5 cups of p.s. (no lorann oil that time)....even less flavor.

3. I tried mixing in cotton candy, doesn't work.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true recipe or some ideas they can offer me? I'm willing to retry the Lorann oil if someone has a better method...I can never get flavor out of those things!

Thanks!

2 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 3

Did someone else taste the batch with the Lorann oil? I've used it before in MMF and I only needed a few drops to flavor it. It didn't taste just like cotton candy to me, but it did flavor it. You can you can never get the flavor out of Lorann oils so I'm wondering if it's your taste buds.

clogalert23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clogalert23 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #3 of 3

I thought it was my tastebuds too but turns out no one thought it tasted like cotton candy.

I actually think it has to do with the buttercream. I'm going to try a more marshmallow-y frosting and see if that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%