How Do I Make Striped Gumpaste/fondant "feathers"

Decorating By KathyKB Updated 13 Sep 2015 , 2:46am by KathyKB

KathyKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyKB Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a wedding cake for a couple with a small hobby farm. Instead of a bride and groom on top of the cake they would like a rooster and a hen. The rooster & hen will be about 4-5 inches tall. I am using Rice Krispies for the basic form and then planning on covering that with fondant or gumpaste or a mixture.

The picture of the rooster they sent me to use for the "groom" has striped black and white feathers. (see link below)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64412881@N02/5864163083/in/photostream

Anyone have a suggestion how to stripe my gumpaste so my rooster won't look like he's been rolling in the mud?

I appreciate your suggestions.

5 replies
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 6

The picture didn't post, can you upload it to a image hosting website such as flickr and link us to it?

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 6

I would make white feathers and then dust or paint the black details onto it. It will be time consuming, but that is a complicated design to make in sugar/cake/RK, etc.

Good luck.

Michele

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 6

make it all white and handpaint it?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 6

When I did this female mallard, I covered the RKT shape with the lighter color. Then I took the lighter color and the darker color and used scissors to snip small pieces of each. I scattered the two colors on a plastic mat so that they were touching and lightly rolled over them with my small rolling pin. The trick is to not put too much pressure on the rolling pin so that while the colors stick to each other, they don't squoosh into each other (yes, I consider squoosh to be a technical term). Too much pressure and you'll wind up with a grey mess. The reason I covered the RKT with a single layer first was so that if the two tone gumpaste tore I wouldn't have to play with it which would have increased the chances of the colors blending together. Once I had the two toned gumpaste on the RKT I used my dresden tool to push individual spots of color, and shape the wings and feathers. HTH

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2050053/2050060

KathyKB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyKB Posted 13 Sep 2015 , 2:46am
post #6 of 6

Thank you all for your respnses.  I chose to marble white and black gum paste and then cut my "feathers". It worked very well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%