Butter Creme Frosting

Decorating By kimb Updated 26 Jun 2011 , 3:55am by LoveMeSomeCake615

kimb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimb Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 12

I'm having a problem with my BC frosting, It crustes over but it quickly gets too dry!! and looks wrinkled and yuck!!

Here is my recipe: Any advice or changes welcome

1 1/2 c. Shortening
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp Creme boquet
Dash of salt
Milk added till spreading consistency.

11 replies
cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 12

How much powdered sugar?? A good start is 1 lb sugar to 1 cup shortening. Hi-ratio shortening does make a difference and sub. some shortening for unsalted butter gives a nice flavor without affecting the consistency of buttercream. I find heavy whipping cream or coffee creamer give a creamier taste. Good luck!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 12

How much powder sugar is in the recipe??

Crusting is based on the sugar to fat ratio. A 1 cup fat to 1lb sugar ration will crust well. A 1 cup fat to 2lb sugar ratio will crust very fast. A 2 cup fat to a 1lb sugar ratio will be very slow to crust, if it does.

kimb Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 12

Forgot to add sugar-

I use 2 lbs per batch

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:47pm
post #5 of 12

It's just a little to much icing sugar for the amount of shortning you use. Add about a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of butter in there (or use all butter, as that's what I do, yum!) and it should come out much less dry. You won't use as much milk this way either.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 12

If it's too dry for you, then I'd add in more shortening. I actually do a 2cup to 2lb ratio. I know Indy's recipe is actually 1 1/3 cup and 2lbs, and it works fine for her. So I would just play until you find one that works well for you.

Also on the wrinkle issue, is this happening before or after you move your cake around? If it is after, it could be that your board isn't strong enough.

Or are you trying to smooth it too long after it has crusted?

kimb Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:22pm
post #7 of 12

No, it's wrinkled after I smooth.

I use the hot water/spatula method, then after it sits to dry it gets wrinkled.

And, how will keep my frosting nice and white if I use butter?

CalhounsCakery Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb

It does tint it slightly yellow, but the flavor is so amazing that I never mind. If someone asks for pure white, I will make some of both and let them try the difference, and make the decision. THey usually go with butter.

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:29pm
post #9 of 12

I always try to beat the butter for a couple minutes so the color lightens, I always use the Italian Meringue Buttercream to cover my cakes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 12

...............how will keep my frosting nice and white if I use buttet?.............

BEAT, Beat, beat! icon_smile.gif The more you beat it the lighter - both in color and texture - it becomes. Beat the shortening and butter together 1st, then slowly add the renaining ingredients.

CalhounsCakery Posted 25 Jun 2011 , 9:44pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

...............how will keep my frosting nice and white if I use buttet?.............

BEAT, Beat, beat! icon_smile.gif The more you beat it the lighter - both in color and texture - it becomes. Beat the shortening and butter together 1st, then slowly add the renaining ingredients.

Doesn't work with straight butter icon_cry.gif Wish it did, cause I love the taste!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 26 Jun 2011 , 3:55am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimb

Beating helps. We use icing whitener in ours when we want it really white. Works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%