Questions About Home Made Baker's Release

Baking By LindaF144a Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 6:34pm by susie1

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 13

I had a couple of questions about the home made baker's release - 1 cup flour, 1 cup shortening, 1 cup oil.

How do you mix it?
In the mixer or by hand?
Why keep it in the fridge, won't it get too hard to use then?
Is there something perishable about this once it is mixed?

I want to try this and see if it is quicker than the traditional method.
Thanks.

12 replies
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 13

I use an electric mixer to mix the oil and flour first to form a smooth paste; then mix in the shortening. I have never kept mine in the fridge, and I have no idea why unless it's to keep the oils from getting rancid if it's not used within a couple months.

Mimi209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimi209 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 13

I use this and love it. It works great. I only use a 1/4 cup of each or a 1/2 cup of each, just depends on how quickly I think I will use it. One time I used a generic brand of shortening and I did not like the results especially after putting it in the refrigerator. It was very hard. So I only use Crisco now and the mixture is the same whether it's kept in the refrigerator or left on the counter. I think you will like using this. Oh, I also use an electric mixer to mix it.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 13

I love it..love it....LOVE IT!!! I mix equal portions of each and whisk it until smooth. The cakes darn near jump out of the pan thumbs_up.gif

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:16pm
post #5 of 13

I use the "throw it all in" method, and give it a good whisk by hand (in winter I do it in the mixer because the crisco is firmer). I store it at room temp in a covered plastic container. The only time it will ever get moldy is if you get any stray cake crumbs or whatever in there for some reason (maybe transferring from your pastry brush or pans if they weren't thoroughly cleaned).

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 13

I mix mine in the blender and store it in the pantry.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 13

.....How do you mix it? .........In the mixer or by hand?.........
I always mixed the heck out of it in the KA - whip it until is is light and fluffy like whipped cream

......Why keep it in the fridge, won't it get too hard to use then?.........
I kept it in the frig so it would not sperate. If I didn't the oil would end up on the bottom. Even w/putting in frig sometimes if I didn't use it fast enough it still would seperate some.

............Is there something perishable about this once it is mixed? .............
Naawwwww

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #8 of 13

I use the mixer on it, and have always kept it out of the fridge. It can separate, but I just stir it before I use it and have never had a problem with it. I've kept it for months with out issues. I'll make a 1 cup batch if I am doing a lot of baking, or if I think I won't be doing a lot I'll make a smaller batch.

I also use it for greasing the pans for most anything. It works great for brownies, bars and cookie bars, and so forth.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 13

I use this and love it too! Quick question - how does everyone apply it to the pans? Brush, silicone brush...?

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:29pm
post #10 of 13

I use a silicone brush and will never buy the store bought stuff ever again!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this stuff!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #11 of 13

I ran out of my Baker's Joy the other day and though oh no, I do NOT want to run out to the store in the middle of baking so then I remembered how many people talk about the homemade stuff so I figured I'd give it a try! I was like - WHY HAVE I NEVER USED THIS BEFORE!?!?!?! This is hands down the best stuff ever. It even seems like my cakes have a more consistant color as apposed to using the Pam w/ flour or Baker's Joy. Since I have used it I've never had the slightest bit of cake stick! I have made mine up by the 1/2 cup of each and keep it stored in a tupperware container not in the fridge! I use a silicone brush to spread it in the pan.I love it!!!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:08pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks everybody. I just tried it with two cakes this morning. It worked great, I am a convert.

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 13

I can't wait to try this one step cake release. What a great idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%