Want To Gift Cake Decorating Supplies - Please Help!

Decorating By Ethereal Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 6:11pm by Ethereal

Ethereal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ethereal Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:02am
post #1 of 8

Hopefully this is in the right spot! If not, would someone be able to move it? Thank you.

I have a question for you folks. My girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I'm looking to get her some cake decorating supplies. I know she has some pastry bags with tips, but beyond that, there isn't a whole lot. She recently got a job decorating at a professional cakery, and she was lamenting how difficult it is for her to frost her cakes at home. Something about globbing some frosting on, spreading it around to cover the cake. Thing is, there's something she uses at work that spreads the frosting evenly on the cake (something she can't do with the tools at home). The way she described it, it seemed like she made a border of frosting, then a grid inside the cake which she then smoothed.

Whatever she uses at her work, it sounded like another pastry bag to me but I have no clue! Would someone be able to tell me what this tool might possibly be and where I could buy one online (preferably from a reputable retailer icon_smile.gif!)

If there's anything "more professional" in terms of supplies, I'm all ears for other good gift suggestions. I know she doesn't have a turntable, so I planned on getting one for her, but any other suggestions would be great.

Thank you very much!

7 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:18am
post #2 of 8

Aren't you just the sweetest? Sounds like a cake icer tip to me...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000CFMP2/?tag=cakecentral-20

A 24" bag helps with those http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BVFYV8/?tag=cakecentral-20

A turn table would be excellent.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:27am
post #4 of 8

I think you may be talking about a Frosting tip it is a super big tip that puts the frosting on in large amounts to be spread easier, btw don't waste your money on the Wilton turntable they are expensive and don't really handle the larger heavier cakes.

You can find a heavy duty turntable on ebay for about $40-50 you don't need a tilting one either a little wedge under one side will work just fine.

I bought the $70 tilting turntable by Wilton and it was a huge waste of $. Don't bother with their cake leveler either last about 4 or 5 cakes before it start loosening up and getting dull.

SarahL4683 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahL4683 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:51am
post #5 of 8

I actually like the new Wilton tilting turntable. Although I don't think it's worth the $79.99 price tag, I did think it was worth it after I used a 50% off coupon at JoAnn Fabrics and got it for $40! The base is heavy enough and I've had some pretty decent sized cakes on it... Already had a 16" round that was about 6" high on it and it worked great. I agree that the cake icer tip is probably what she uses, get the icing tip and a nice big pastry bag (at least an 18")

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that I think you are talking about the Wilton icing tip.
I would also suggest a gift certificate to a cake supply store so she can pick up some things. You feel like a kid in a candy store.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ethereal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ethereal Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for the help! That #789 tip sounds about right, so I think that's part of the gift now. She was excited about some new stuff at the Michaels near her, so maybe a gift card might be the safest. I looked at some more turntables, but I think for the price I'm looking at, they might be too small. They might be better picked by her...

Thanks again! You guys have helped me out a bunch icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%