Cake Education!!!! Help!!!

Decorating By Lil_monkey72 Updated 23 Jun 2011 , 11:28am by MaurorLess67

Lil_monkey72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lil_monkey72 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 4

Okay, so I am a highschool student who is an aspiring cake decorator. icon_biggrin.gif I want to own my own bakery at some point, but I have a problem. I don't know what school to go to, or what programs I need or that would help me. I just don't know what to choose!! Help please!?

3 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #2 of 4

check out community colleges that offer culinary programs. you learn the same stuff, but at 1/3 of the price.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 4

And take as many business classes as you can. (Me = MBA plus Baking and Pastry degree.)

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 11:28am
post #4 of 4

Hi Lil_monkey-

This may be an option for you- I teach at a Voctaional School on Long Island- (I don't teach anything cool- just Math- ha), but BOCES offers so many great programs for High School students- (Cosmetology, Auto Tech, Carpentry, Trade Electric, Comp Tech etc..) They also offer a one/two year program for Culinary!!! The first year is baking- ooh and boy do those students bake- everything!- you can then continue for a 2nd year and that is more meals- etc.

I can not even begin to tell you what a valuable program it is!!! The students leave our Tech/Vocational school with 6-9 college credits AND the amount of money given in scholarships is jaw-dropping- Johnson and Wales alone, usually gives no less then 100,000.00 to our students.

I would check with your guidance counselor at school and request/demand nicely that you be enrolled if they have anything like this by you- the home districts are not enrolling as many students at this time because of budget issues- but.. I know when they see students they will thrive and have a passion for a program they find a way.

If you need/want anymore info please feel free to contact me- I would be happy to steer you in the right direction-

Good Luck!
Maureen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%