Hello Kitty Tiered Cake

Decorating By mkychelle Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm by imagenthatnj

mkychelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkychelle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

This is my first post and my first order from a customer that I don't know. My order is to use the Hello Kitty Wilton pan for the top tier. So I'm looking at this pan and its pretty big, so I'm going to have to stack it on a 16 bottom layer. I've not done a 16" cake, how much cake mix does that take and hard is it to bake? I appreciate any help! Thanks so much! icon_surprised.gif

5 replies
ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 6

I hope this link comes thru...http://cakecentral.com/articles/74/cake-baking-cutting-serving-guide-2-in-deep-pans
I did a search on CC for how much batter for 16 inch pan and came up with this. I can tell you that alot of people will be telling you it is illegal to sell a character cake. Copyright infrigments and all. I only make character cakes for family and friends that I do not sell to.

mkychelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkychelle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much, I'm not making money off this cake as I'm not comfortable yet with my skills enough to charge. (My day job is in the legal field). She's just a friend of a friend who is trusting me and letting me practice on her. She is purchasing all the ingredients/pans, I'm just making/decorating it for her. With that said, I still want to make it special and make her little girl's cake wishes happy ones. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 6

If you're more comfortable baking 4 8" squares than one 16", you could do that.

You're talking about a ton of cake...does your customer even need that many servings? I looked up the pan and the dimensions say 11x10 so it could be put on top of a 14" round.

Another option would be to make cupcakes to coordinate with the cake...those shaped cakes look cute surrounded by a bunch of matching cupcakes.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 6

Are you talking about the pan that is in the shape of her head? If so, another option would be to find a good picture on-line. Blow it up to the size you need and use it as a template to cut that shape out of a square or rectangle cake and make it the size you actually need.

Just fill and stack your layers first, place your template on top, and cut it out! Good luck!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%