Cottage Law For Minnesota - Calling All Mn Home Bakers

Decorating By jcstefanick Updated 26 Jan 2012 , 2:36pm by dandymom

jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 28

Okay, seeing how so many other states are successfully getting a Cottage Law passed to allow home bakers to sell their goods, I want to get the ball rolling for Minnesota!
I am hoping to identify other home bakers in Minnesota who are interested in helping me to navigate through all the steps it will take to get a Cottage Law passed for Minnesota, and really to find out if there are enough home bakers out there in MN that even WANT this.
So if you are interested in helping, have information on the process to pass a Cottage Law, or just want to voice your desire for Minnesota to have a cottage law, please post a reply, or email.

27 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 28

Count me in!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 28

Please, please, please call it a Cottage Food Law. A Cottage Law would be a law for cottages. icon_smile.gif

snazzygem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzygem Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:04am
post #4 of 28

I'm in too!!

jcstefanick Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 28

Thanks MNSnow and Snazzygem! I am in the process of creating a FB page and actually getting the petition up online so we can start getting some buy in. I will be in touch more soon... perhaps you can PM me your email addresses?

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 28

I'm in!!!

jcstefanick Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 28

I've created the Facebook page for it now... feel free to check it out. Next on the list is the online petition... here is a link to the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/MN-Cottage-Food-Law/208021329240966
or just type in MN Cottage Food Law in the search bar in Facebook.

Jess155 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 3:20pm
post #8 of 28

I'm not on FB. Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

jcstefanick Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 28

I've now got the online petition created... spread the word and go sign the petition!!! http://www.petitiononline.com/mncake/petition.html

Jess155 Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #10 of 28

Signed and forwarded. Thanks!!!

jcstefanick Posted 23 Jun 2011 , 6:59pm
post #11 of 28

We've got 14 signatures on the petition already! Keep passing on the link to get more support!
http://www.petitiononline.com/mncake/petition.html

jcstefanick Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 28

We are up to 25 signatures now!

MnSnow Posted 1 Jul 2011 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 28

anything new?

jcstefanick Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 28

We are up to 42 signatures! Please continue to pass this onto your Minnesota friends and have them sign the petition!

Cat52480 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cat52480 Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 12:53am
post #15 of 28

Thank you for getting this started. I signed the petition and joined you on Facebook. I was just reading the Texas law synopsis and i really like what they have. This would be such a wonderful supplemental income for my family! Many friends and family have asked to order my cakes and this would make saying "yes!" infinitely easier! (I'm a sacredly cat of getting busted. Lol)

JSKConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JSKConfections Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 1:43am
post #16 of 28

I don't know much about this...but I do know I lose alot of potential business with wedding cakes because I'm a home cook without a commercial kitchen...I use very good sanitary practices and nobody has ever gotten sick from one of my cakes...so if this is what this is about ....I'M IN!!! I will check out the facebook page now...GO MINNESOTA!!!

JSKConfections Posted 30 Jul 2011 , 2:02am
post #17 of 28

I just posted the link on my face book page for asking all my friends to sign the petition...everybody else do the same?

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 12:33am
post #18 of 28

I found the petition and FB page as well. I've posted a link to both a couple times in the last few days. I know some people who have signed it for that reason. Let's keep spreading the word! This would be great!

GuiltyPleasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GuiltyPleasures Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 1:49am
post #19 of 28

If you need an extra set of eyes regarding the legalities, or a sounding board for that purpose let me know.

JSKConfections Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 2:24am
post #20 of 28

85 signatures now...I saw a few of my relatives went out and signed too! Keep it up.

MnSnow Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:04pm
post #21 of 28

I also post it on my FB.

Out of curiosity--how many signatures are needed?

JSKConfections Posted 31 Jul 2011 , 4:21pm
post #22 of 28

Good question! I was wondering that too...I wonder if its on the state website...I work in a legal dept, I have a friend who knows alot about everything, I can ask her tomorrow.

angel23walker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel23walker Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 4:23am
post #23 of 28

I am just starting out in this and the more and more research I do to get excited I get more and more depressed that I can't do anything but make cakes for my immediate family! So upset right now. Would love for some changes and with the economy the way it is, now is the time to try!

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 5:15am
post #24 of 28

Thanks so much for doing this!! I signed the petition and posted it on my Facebook wall.

I joke that the name of my cake decorating "business" is Priceless Cakes.... they have no price because I can't sell them under MN law. Worse than that, I can't even donate them to a group or family event when the venue requires that the cake be baked by a licensed baker icon_sad.gif

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 7 Aug 2011 , 9:56pm
post #25 of 28

We're up to 120 signatures!! If you're from Minnesota, please sign the peitition and ask your family and friends to do so, too! You don't have to be on facebook.... you can go directly to the site referenced above. Thank you!!

Dragonfly2969 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dragonfly2969 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 5:50pm
post #26 of 28

Signed the petition and "like"d the FB page. I'll be pimping this to all my friends and asking them to do the same. This needs to be passed! I could actually make a living with this law in place. icon_biggrin.gif Spread the word like wildfire!!!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:39pm
post #27 of 28

Signed and forwarded.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 2:36pm
post #28 of 28

Hi, where do I find the petition?

Thank you,
Dandymom

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%