What's The Worst That Can Happen To Mmf In Fridge???

Decorating By tullicious Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm by jsc2010

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

I do alot of accents and figures on my cakes with homemade mmf. I've been recently getting more requests for cakes with fillings or others that need refrigeration. I haven't tried it yet, but has anyone successfully kept a cake in the fridge with mmf on it? Not a covered cake, but accents or decorations. I've read that it will get soggy, gummy, etc. If I just can't use mmf in the fridge, what else do you suggest I use instead? Thanks for any help! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 4

It will start looking wet as the cake comes back up to room temp, but if you allow it to run its full cycle, it will go back to its original sheen. Sometimes, placing a fan near by to keep the air circulating will help dry it. If you apply the decorations with water, don't use too much as it will seep out from under the applied decoration when it is coming back up to room temp --just too much moisture then. I find placing the cake in a large cardboard box helps absorb the condensation.

Edited to add, wait to add figures to the cake after it has come back up to room temp. You don't need them getting cold because they will tend to sag when they come up back to normal temps. Just set them aside and add them as the last step.

HTH!

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

I only use mmf for my cakes and I refrigerate them all.the time. They usually sweat, mostly in the summer, but it goes away after about 30 minutes to a hour and it helps if you put a fan in front of it.

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

I have put my MMF cakes in the fridge and they keep forever! I'm exaggerating LOL. But I did keep my daughter's very large cake in the fridge after being cut with a piece of plastic wrap on it and that cake tasted as good after a week as when I first served it.
I have found that my MMF gets soft but only the the point of being delicious to eat! I made a tea party cake with all the little cups, tea pot and plates etc...and they were just fine.
My kitchen has A/C so if I keep it on it helps take out the humidity.
I have found humidity is a curse to MMF .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%