Tylose Or Gum Tragacanth?

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 12:53pm by jennifercullen

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 10:41am
post #1 of 4

Last time I bought some I bought gum trag powder, either way I have to order it online as I cant buy it around here! I found two on ebay, the gum trag is 50g for £7.95, or the tylose is 85g for around the same price postage included. Would I be best getting the tylose as there is more than 50% more, or do you need to use more of it in comparison to gum trag and so I wouldnt really be saving? If they were the same amount and price I would probably prefer the gum trag..

3 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 4

Hi.
When I make gumpaste, I always use tylose. I use 2 different recipes for gumpaste and they both come out great. I've never worked with gum trag but I have never had any problems out of the tylose. It dries well, can be rolled super thin for flowers...I love it.

HTH

jimmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimmers Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 4

Gum trag used to be my firm favourite but then my local store stopped stocking it. I bought tylose instead and I wouldn't look back. It took me a while to get used to the amounts needed but I find that it works much quicker so there's no sitting around leaving it overnight. I used to make batch n leave it 12hrs but now I just add a pinch (ish) to a small amount of fondant and only have to work with little bits at a time, which I think saves me time in the long run. I have had no problems with it and I make a LOT of figures. Go with the tylose but be prepared to practise first icon_smile.gif

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 12:53pm
post #4 of 4

thanks you guys icon_smile.gif

jimmers, how different are the amounts for tylose? I've mixed in gum trag with fondant to not much success really. it does dry on the outside quicker, but still stays soft on the inside. Or should I have left it overnight just doing that? I think I will try the tylose.. I really wish I could get it from a store around here! Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, but the less common I suppose cake decorating stuff is hard to come by, if its not cake ingredients coloured icing and cake boards. I can find gel colours and a couple of ready made decorations and thats about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%