Diy Buttercream Fondant...

Decorating By caked4life Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm by ame120103

caked4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 20

Has anyone had success using this type of fondant. I made a batch last night. It was SUPER soft. I wrapped and left it out overnight hoping it would firm up, but this morning it was still SUPER soft. I guess I will try adding more powdered sugar.

19 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 20

Are you talking about rolled buttercream?

caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Tiggy2, no, buttercream fondant.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 20

Tiggy's asking because there's no such thing as buttercream fondant, although a recipe with that name has been popping up. It's a unfortunate name.

There's buttercream, rolled buttercream, poured fondant and rolled fondant. Each is a very different product, and use a different method to produce it.

I suspect tiggy's right and you may have made rolled buttercream. It's very soft and difficult to cover cakes with, although I understand it's good for topping cookies.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 20

Please share the recipe so we know what you are talking about.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 20

Duff's brand of fondant says Buttercream fondant on the label, so that may be where some of the confusion came from.

The recipes that are popping up sound like the rolled buttercream recipes from before, basically a stiffened version of buttercream, but isn't really fondant. Just buttercream that is thick enough to be rolled out, but it isn't going to have the same feel as fondant does.

0930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
0930 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #7 of 20

hi there

fairly new to this and wondering if you can help me out. what is the difference between buttercream, rolled buttercream, poured fondant as well as fondant - any good recipes would be appreicated

although i think it is pretty obvious i like to spreak somewhat intelligently when people as

as well can anyone tell me what the difference is between gum paste, sugar paste and marzipan is and what the heck is pastillage

thanks ladies - love love this forum

caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 20

Here is the recipe for it:

1 cup of shortening
1 cup of clear corn syrup
½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
½ tsp any flavoring
2lbs of powdered sugar

This maybe plain ole rolled fondant, I don't know; hence, I've never made rolled fondant only MMF. It was labeled as buttercream fondant, but please, get me right when I'm wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:40pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caked4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Tiggy2, no, buttercream fondant.

Update:

Tiggy2, I apologize, seems I am talking about rolled buttercream. I guess. Still learning...

caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Tiggy's asking because there's no such thing as buttercream fondant, although a recipe with that name has been popping up. It's a unfortunate name.

There's buttercream, rolled buttercream, poured fondant and rolled fondant. Each is a very different product, and use a different method to produce it.

I suspect tiggy's right and you may have made rolled buttercream. It's very soft and difficult to cover cakes with, although I understand it's good for topping cookies.

Thanks, Leah, for the clarification. Still learing the in's and out's.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 20

0930, there are many different buttercream out there.

There is what a lot of people called the American Buttercream, which is general butter/shortening powder sugar with liquids and flavorings. And then there are the cooked buttercreams like IMBC and SMBC, which are made from egg whites, sugar and butter plus flavorings.

Rolled buttercream would be a very thick version of buttercream (shortening and powder sugar based) that you can roll out and use to cover a cake.

Poured fondant is generally used on petite fours. It is a glaze type of icing that is made, I think heated, and then poured over the surface.

Rolled fondant is a type of fondant that you roll out and then lay over a cake.

As far as recipes, there are many great ones in the recipe section as well as through out the boards. Everyone has their own favorites, and the best thing you can do is try a few to see what you like.

Gumpaste is like fondant, it is an icing that you can roll out, but it also has gums in it that allow it to dry very fast. It is used for making flowers and such.

Sugar paste is the UK name for rolled fondant. Marzipan is made from almond paste and in some areas of the world is used as a icing on a cake under fondant.

Pastillage, is another sugar dough, but it dries harder and stronger than gumpaste. It is generally used for large pieces.

That is how I see each of them, please someone correct me if I am wrong on any of them. icon_smile.gif

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 20

I think it's called buttercream fondant because it's meant to taste like it.

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 20

I think it's called buttercream fondant because it's meant to taste like it. Also when I made my fondant the first two times I followed the recipe as stated. It came out too soft also! So from then on I just added more powdered sugar and I haven't had any problems since. So I suggest more powdered sugar. Sometimes we get confused by a recipe name no need to make it more complicated. : )

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 20

The recipe above IS rolled buttercream. I had to go look it up in my culinary school book. I made it ONCE and thought it was vile.

"Your mileage may vary."

PS I lurve buttercream *flavor* SatinIce fondant.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

The recipe above IS rolled buttercream. I had to go look it up in my culinary school book. I made it ONCE and thought it was vile.

I made it once and had the same experience...who would want to eat that??? and it was difficult to work with.

I make MMF with a tablespoon of clear vanilla replacing one tablespoon of the water (add after melting the marshmallows) and with 1/4 cup unsalted butter replacing the crisco, and it tastes very similiar to my buttercream.

caked4life Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:04pm
post #16 of 20

It seems essentially the same recipe as regular buttercream(not swiss or the such), with an addition of corn syrup. I'm guessing the corn syrup is giving it the unsavory flavor that some don't like.

I really like my tried and true MMF, so I guess I'll be sticking to that.

Thank you all for the responses! icon_rolleyes.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by caked4life

Here is the recipe for it:

1 cup of shortening
1 cup of clear corn syrup
½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp clear vanilla extract
½ tsp any flavoring
2lbs of powdered sugar

This maybe plain ole rolled fondant, I don't know; hence, I've never made rolled fondant only MMF. It was labeled as buttercream fondant, but please, get me right when I'm wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

Rolled fondant (as well as gumpaste) has gelatin in it to give it an elastic quality and is typically made with glycerin or glucose (depending on the recipe). The recipe above is rolled icing, as it has no butter or cream to be called buttercream (but this just might be my pet peeve!) and has no gelatin to be called fondant. I can't imagine trying to cover a cake in this, this is more of a soft dough to roll and cut with a cookie cutter to put on a cookie.

Go to the most saved recipe section here and get the updated Michelle Forester's fondant recipe. Lots of people make it and it's pretty easy, not to mention it's the most tasty as it gets, especially the chocolate versions. And no disrespect to those posted above, but I personally have no problem calling it "buttercream fondant" since it is made with butter and heavy whipping cream... and actually tastes like real buttercream.

Good luck!

galliesway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galliesway Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 20

I came across this recipe. I am going to try this week.
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:09pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

The recipe above is rolled icing, as it has no butter or cream to be called buttercream (but this just might be my pet peeve!) and has no gelatin to be called fondant.

Good luck!

Ain't this the truth. When I interviewed people for my cake shop and asked them what kind of frosting they liked to use, I would get the answer "buttercream". And then when I asked them to define buttercream, I would get a strange look. Then they would give me the ingredients. Yeah - not buttercream. Now that we have started training, they have learned the difference. icon_biggrin.gif

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #20 of 20

Wow so much info at once, I LOVE IT!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%