Help! How Long Would This Filling Last?

Decorating By m_willford Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 7:12am by sweettreat101

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:07am
post #1 of 4

Okay, I know that the whipped bettercreme stuff, the non-dairy from Sam's, can sit out for a couple days on a frosted cake. But would it last as long as a filling for a cake if I whipped it up with a pudding mix? It's pre-whipped, I would just be thickening it with something like pistachio pudding as a filling, not a frosting.

I have a cake due for a family wedding, outdoor evening reception but it's not very hot from 6-8 pm where we live. I just need to know how long the cake can sit, as far as decorating goes, since I'll be covering it with fondant and have no room in my fridge for 3 full tiers. If it wouldn't be safe, I won't do a fancy filling, strictly Indydeb's buttercream!

Anyone know if pudding and bettercreme can sit out for a day or two while I decorate?

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:30am
post #2 of 4

Bettercream can definitely sit at room temp for several days. If it's fine on the outside of a cake, it's also fine on the inside of a cake. The dry pudding mix to flavor it shouldn't have any effect. You can also mix bettercream with sleeved fillings and that doesn't have to be refrigerated.

m_willford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_willford Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:38am
post #3 of 4

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!

I was just dying to do vanilla cake, with pistachio pudding/bettercreme filling, and chocolate cake with chocolate fudge pudding/bettercreme... but didn't dare if it would make someone sick. I can't sell cakes in my state, but you still don't want to serve cake to 150 people and make them sick. icon_sad.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 7:12am
post #4 of 4

I did this for my Quince cake a couple of weeks ago. I used Frosting Pride and vanilla pudding it worked wonderfully. It can sit out for up to five days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%