Amazing Client Took Me By Suprise...

Decorating By labmom Updated 2 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm by cutiepiecupcake

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:27am
post #1 of 15

I don't know if this has happened to anyone but I am taken back. I have a client that contacted me about a baby shower that was yesterday.
She contacted me about a month ago and ask if i would provide a brunch and cupcakes for about 40 women. I said no problem. It was an easy menu and cupcakes were easier than a cake.
She let me know that she would be out of town the week before the shower and would let me know the final count by email which she did. in fact all of our comunication has been through email. all went beautifuly.
During all this the client never once mentioned prices or ask about prices. I had worked for her for the wedding of the now pregnant person..and I was told by another person before that it was the way she works which is risky but I went along with it then and had no problem with the wedding cake payment.
When I gave her the bill after the baby shower was over she looked at me and said come on your kidding.. my heart sunk, sank? what ever it is. You aren't making anything on this and wrote the check out for double the amount on the bill handed me the check and told me go home check my receipts and if I needed more to email her the amount and she would mail me a check.
I hope that I didn't have my mouth open in shock. She told me that she was able to go out of town for a week and not worry at all about this event.. she knew that everything would be taken care of and perfect, and it was. The peace of mind that she had and the excelent food and pastry was worth every penny
I was trying not to cry I was so happy. My husband who was helping because my business partner is still out of commission since her husbands death
just smiled at me. And finaly saw what keeps me in the business. Wish clients were all like this.

14 replies
cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:42am
post #2 of 15

such an amazing story! i'm so happy for you icon_biggrin.gif i love hearing about all the good people in the world!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:44am
post #3 of 15

Wow that's wonderful! Wish more people would be like that. It's those moments that makes everything worthwhile icon_smile.gif

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:17am
post #4 of 15

See you are appreciated. Nice to hear.

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 15

Wow, that's amazing! Brought tears to my eyes! Those are the types of customers that really make it worth it.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 15

That's great to hear...so happy for you!

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 15

awesome, it is so nice when someone recognizes and appreciates your hard work. I have a regular client that i actually done a HORRIBLE job on her wedding cake ( second marriage) because the night before when i was working on it i messed around and broke my hand ( didnt go to the dr till next morning becasue i was bound and determined to get all my cakes done), i had only had my shop open maybe two weeks. I made it up to her and now she comes in very regularly and usually comes with a gift certificate for mani/pedis for me and my helper.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 15

Awesome, so now you have a good legitimate excuse to raise your prices. icon_smile.gif

ame120103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ame120103 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #9 of 15

I love stories like that they make all the sweat and powdered sugar coated floors worth it. I had someone come to me in tears a few weeks ago because she had booked her daughter's graduation cake with another caker 2 months in advance and once she was about three weeks away from the event she wasn't recieving any contact from the caker and had no idea what to do. I told her it was no problem I could handle it with only a 6 day notice. When she picked the cake up she was balling because she loved it and couldn't believe she had been through all the drama with her other caker and it had been so stress free with me. I love giving people those moments.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #10 of 15

I had a customer that ordered a wedding cake and cupcakes for a last minute vows renewal ceremony. I delivered in time and as I walked out she handed me another $100 bill (she had already paid in full when she ordered the cake). It was the best thing ever! Then she sent me a thank note letting me know everyone loved the cake and cupcakes and that they ran out because everyone was wanting seconds. Love those types of clients!

congrats to you for your stellar customer!

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #11 of 15

Its always wonderful when one human being appreciates another. Whether it is skill, hard work or dedication I think its important to compliment and show others appreciation but sadly in this world it doesnt happen very often.

I have had several Brides (surprizingly enough) who have told me what colors and flavors they wanted in their wedding cake and then told me to "just do whatever you want" because they trusted my judgement (for the whole wedding, cake flowers and all). Those Brides had some of the best weddings ever because they enjoyed every moment of their special day (even though I was stressing for them). It brings me joy that no payment could ever bring me when someone truly appreciates my efforts.

You did an excellent job for this lady and she was just trying to show you that she appreciated it. Good job on the Shower and keep on Caking!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 15

Wow! This actually brought tears to my eyes! So happy for you!!!!

chefandbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefandbaker Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:29pm
post #14 of 15

This made my eyes tear up. Truly a great story! Glad to hear something like this does happen more often than not. One time, they "tipped" me $150.. even though the cake was a true gift (BFF's mom's 50th).. very very awesome surprise. icon_smile.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 2 Jul 2011 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 15

Good for you! That is just soooo nice to read about icon_smile.gif I received a bottle of fine champagne the other day from a client.. I was so touched.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%