Wht To Use Under The Fondant...

Decorating By mum321 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 3:45am by lorieleann

mum321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mum321 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

I have been doing some homework on Fondant cakes because i will be attempting my first fondant cake in about a month, then my 2nd about 3 week later. I have been on here religiously looking at beautiful cakes, and looking around on google, but i am confused about one thing...
Some people say to use butter cream under the fondant, others say use glucose/sugar syrup, and others say to use hot strained apricot jam.

WHICH IS BEST??? The fondant i have says on the pack to use a glucose syrup.
Thanks!

4 replies
bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #2 of 5

I use buttercream because alot of people dont like fondant so that gives them icing for their cake. I ice it a little more than a crumb coat but not as much as I regularly ice because too much oozes out when you smooth. I stick mine in the fridge to chill a little which helps adhere the fondant when you apply it. Good videos on youtube on covering a cake with fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 2:52am
post #3 of 5

Personally I like icing under my fondant. I like a normal layer of icing and a THIN layer of fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #4 of 5

Ditto the above responses. Go with a light buttercream layer. It makes laying fondant a lot easier. Also ganache is a great tool to use under fondant. For a beginner though, find a buttercream recipe you like, and try that icon_smile.gif message me if you need a bc recipe. Good luck!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #5 of 5

I have to vote for ganache as a good base layer with buttercream as a layer ( so you don't miss out on that yummy buttercream). If you have some baking experience and the idea of ganache doesn't intimidate you, then you might want to give it a try. I love how it gives a firm smooth surface and I don't have to worry about bulges between layers.

I thing the art and appetite blog as a great ganache tutorial if you want to check it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%