Would This Work For A White Cake?

Baking By Julisa Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 7:24am by auzzi

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 5

I have a stipidish question. I don't consider myself a baker, just a cake decoratior. I make a chocolate cake from scratch off of the Hershey cocoa can. I have always had good results. I have not been able to find a white scratch recipe. I was wondering what would happen if I made the same recipe from the cocoa can only omitted the cocoa? Would I have to replace the cocoa with more flower and sugar or would it not work at all? I know nothing about "inventing or concocting" my own baking recipies. Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any feedback on this?

Thanks in advance for tolerating my stupidish question.
Julisa

4 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on the amount of cocoa, you would have to replace it with flour, I would think.

But it takes lots of practice to start messing up with recipes and be successful.

I haven't tried this white cake yet, but it's supposedly Ron Ben Israel's recipe for white cake. Maybe you could make a small cake and try it.

http://nyccakegirl.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/today-ron-has-allowed-me-to-share-a-few-recipes/

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

Have you ever tried a doctored cake mix. It's super easy. Sift 1 Duncan Hines cake mix with 1 large box of pudding (I use white chocolate), 1 cup flour and 1 cup sugar. In a separate bowl combine the required eggs from the mix plus one egg, 1 cup sour cream, and the required vegetable oil. Combine the liquid ingredients into the dry mixing just until silky. Bake at 325 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs on it.

Julisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julisa Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #4 of 5

I have tried and always use the doctored cake mix for every flavor except chocolate and carrot cake. They do work well. I just really want to be able to make a good white cake from schratch. I will try Ron's and see how it turns out. Thanks for the help

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%