Need Much Help With My Timeline!!

Decorating By MaurorLess67 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 12:06am by BakerAnn

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 5

I know bibbles just posted a very similiar question- I did not want to hijack that post. But I am in desperate need of suggestions- well, more than suggestions- detailed guidelines really-

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, probably to exhaustion,(I have tried the search section- I never seem to have any luck with that icon_redface.gif ) but I'm also having a hard time gauging my timeline. I certainly do not want to do all the work I have planned to end up with dry cakes.

I am making a three tier Christening cake- WASC- for Sunday- chocolate ganache, buttercream and the last laye,r a chocolate ganache with strawberry glaze (the mom doesn't care for fresh fruit in her cakes) -so I was hoping by using the strawberry glaze it will give it a little variety- I digress-

I have very little freezer space- maybe room for the upper tiers (if that) and the rest can be put in my refidgerator- not sure of what to put under fondant yet- still kicking around the idea of white ganache vs. Indys BC- still in search of the illusive sharp edges- can I bake and hopefully fill and crumb coat on Wed and/or Thursday- (it takes me a very very long time) decorate and fuss with on Fri/Sat and have ready for Sunday afternoon Chrisenting? Will they stay fresh, moist?

I actually would love very detailed guidelines for my timeline from any experienced cakers- it would really put my mind at ease. If anyone would like to make any suggestions in regards to fillings that would be great- cakes are white and choc (WASC)- and top layer is DH Red Velvet

Thank you everyone in advance-

4 replies
divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 5

If I were doing the order I would bake on Friday, fill, crumb coat, cover and decorate on Saturday and deliver on Sunday. Obviously you can do last minute finishes on Sunday as well. I would be nervous my cakes would be dry or starting to stale doing it any earlier. I also use WASC. Make all your frostings, fillings and ganache on Thursday. If you are wanting really nice sharp edges I would use ganache. That's my opinion, hope it helps! Good luck! icon_smile.gif

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 5

P.S. I don't store my unfrosted cakes in the refrigerator it speeds up the drying process icon_smile.gif I just leave them on the counter wrapped a few times overnight until I fill them.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 5

Any time I do an elaborate cake, I start with a backwards timeline, working from when it's due to be delivered, backwards, through final touches, to settling time, through crumb coating, through baking, through shopping, and making fondant at least a day before I need it, and so on.

Then, when I'm satisfied that everything falls into place and I've left enough time for fixing mistakes and making adjustments, I re-write the timeline in the correct, going forward, sequence. Helps me every time.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 12:06am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Any time I do an elaborate cake, I start with a backwards timeline, working from when it's due to be delivered, backwards, through final touches, to settling time, through crumb coating, through baking, through shopping, and making fondant at least a day before I need it, and so on.

Then, when I'm satisfied that everything falls into place and I've left enough time for fixing mistakes and making adjustments, I re-write the timeline in the correct, going forward, sequence. Helps me every time.

What a terrific idea! Why couldn't I have thought of something so simple a long time ago? icon_biggrin.gif I am putting your suggestion into practice this week and have the feeling I'll save myself lot of stress by Saturday! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%