Trouble Paying For Cake

Decorating By myheartsdesire Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 1:05am by funtodecorate2

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:42am
post #1 of 28

Hey everyone! My sister is getting married in october. I was planning to make her cake myself but have decided I might have too much going on to make it without losing my mind. icon_wink.gif So I'm going to pay for her cake. (our parents are not helpful financially)
My question is do you have trouble paying someone to make something you can easily do yourself? I find myself shopping around thinking I know these cakes are well worth the price but I can do it myself.....I'm thinking I'm going to have to choke down a higher priced cake and get her something I would have trouble doing( something truly beautiful) in order to get past the sticker shock. icon_rolleyes.gif

27 replies
ras3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ras3 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:02am
post #2 of 28

I actually turned down my sister's request to make her cake because I learned a very valuable lesson from making another relative's cake a few months earlier. Making the cake took away a lot of my freedom to participate in other wedding activities. It worked out ok for my cousin's wedding but I was maid of honor for my sister and I didn't want my attentions that week to be divided between her and making cake.

I think I could have made a more creative cake then her expensive one but she understood that I wanted to spend time with her instead of hours in the kitchen. Just something to consider, maybe you can crank out a wedding cake in no time w/o stressing but not me.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:22am
post #3 of 28

Whatever you decide to do, bake or buy, I think you are a lovely sister!

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

My question is do you have trouble paying someone to make something you can easily do yourself? :

Here is a way to think about it. So I am a pretty good cook, not a chef but can make food that is as good as and in many cases better than the restuarants in town (it is a small town). But that does not mean I do not go out to eat. I will go to restruants even though I know I can do better (or at least as good) because I do not feel like cooking that evening. I have no problem paying for dinner because at that point I am looking for someone else to make dinner for me. I do not feel I have to order something more elaborate on the menu simply to look for something I cannot make.

In this case while you could make the cake, you are looking for someone to enable you to other things you want to/need to do during that time. Yes you could do it, but you cannot do it and do everything else comforably. Think about your comfort level during that week and why having someone else do it (even if you can) will make your life easier. Try not to feel compelled about getting something more elaborate, it is okay to pay other people to do something you can do if it enables you to do other things.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:13pm
post #5 of 28

The eating out is a good way to think on it.
Have you ever paid someone to clean your house?
Say You're a good sewer, have you ever bought a dress instead of making it = mainly because of time constraints?
Just a few more ways to think this one out.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 28

Hey, I mow the lawn all of the time. However, when I'm working on catering a party for fifty, I pay the neighbor's kid to mow the lawn.

I can do it. I can't do it all. Remember how much work is going into the cake and happily pay for it.

Tell the person making it how much you appreciate their work and ability. Tell them you are paying them for their talent and the hours of work they will br putting in while you are enjoying the preparation for your sister's wedding.

Then enjoy it.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:25pm
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by myheartsdesire

My question is do you have trouble paying someone to make something you can easily do yourself? I find myself shopping around thinking I know these cakes are well worth the price but I can do it myself.....I'm thinking I'm going to have to choke down a higher priced cake and get her something I would have trouble doing( something truly beautiful) in order to get past the sticker shock. icon_rolleyes.gif

Wait, did you just come on a board with professional cake decorator participants and say that the prices are too high for the value of what they do?

Of course anybody can make a cake themselves, and some people can decorate it well. Not everybody can. If they could then Cake Wrecks would not have such a great site. And then there are the cakes not made by professionals that do not get on Cake Wrecks but should be. And you do admit that there is a level you can't do. But still that does not diminish the value of a service provided just because you can do it. One could apply this to just about anything. Why go to a restaurant and buy the expensive steak when you can grill one at home? Because you are paying for the service of having the steak prepared.

Even something you can do should not be giving you sticker shock if you truly believed in the value of the service provided. You should look at it from that angle and then you won't see sticker shock, but instead see professionals charging what they are worth.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

I can do it. I can't do it all.

Wow! That should become the mantra of everyone who has ever tried to juggle commitments and responsibilities. . . .I CAN do it. I CAN'T do it ALL. . .

I think I'm going to needlepoint that and hang it on my kitchen door.

Well, maybe I'll pay someone else to do it for me, cuz no, I can't do it all.

lol. thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #9 of 28

I don't think she knocked anyone for charging a high price. She even said, "I find myself shopping around thinking I know these cakes are well worth the price...."

There have been many a great cake decorators on here that have said they wouldn't pay what they charge for a cake. So I don't think it means they are trying to devalue others work or time.

I can totally understand these thoughts and I honestly would have a hard time playing a large sum of money for a cake or any other item myself. Not because I don't think the cake would be worth it, or that the person making the time is over charging, I just hate paying a large sum of money for anything.

I did my brother's wedding cake years ago, and honestly I would never do it again. I was so busy right before the wedding and so tired during it, that it is all a blur for me. I was also asked to be a maid of honor and told them they got one or the other, there was no way I was going to try to do both.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 28

Of course, no one can make a cake for your sis with all the love you would put into it, but you are buying time with your sister - isn't that priceless?

myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 28

Thank you Texassugar! I wasn't knocking anybody! icon_smile.gif I just wondered if anyone else felt the same way. I'm going to pay alot of money for this cake and I'm very sure it will be worth it.
Like Texassugar I rarely spend much money. My husband and I are both full time students and have two children. We are watching every penney. icon_smile.gif But I do know making beautiful cakes is worth being paid very well. (I've been underpaid long enough to appreciate that icon_wink.gif) So I'm choosing between three very well-reviewed bakeries and will be very happy to write that check.
I wasn't knocking professional decorators. Just looking for somone I might have something in common with. Sorry I offended you, LindaF144a, it wasn't my intention.icon_smile.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 28

Sorry, I read it wrong then. I have a different perspective I guess. When I do hire someone that I know I can do just as well myself I have a tendency to give them lost of credit for what they are doing for me because I know there are others that don't feel that way. And as a result I don't seem to feel a sticker shock.

Now someone who takes longer than I do....that's another story. I am waiting over a month now for something I know could have been done in a more timely manner. But that's a different story all together.

Thanks for clarifying. Sorry I was harsh.

myheartsdesire Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #13 of 28

No problemicon_smile.gif It's sometimes difficult to tell what someone means simply by reading. I give plenty of credit for a job well done. I'm actually going with a more expensive bakery for the higher quality work. I respect the profession so much. Someday I will be as good as others but for now I'm learning.icon_smile.gif

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 28

Reminds me of a sign I saw at a booth at a craft fair once:

"We know your husband can make one just like it, but when will he get around to it?"

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm
post #15 of 28

Ha!Ha!...so true airedalian...I'm still waiting after 2 years to have my renovations finished....I guess he forgot to tell me what year...But that's another thread....LOL

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #16 of 28

So are you going to do a taste test at each bakery and then stamp your feet in disgust at their prices for "just cake" icon_biggrin.gif Only kidding. I can really see where you are coming from, paying hundreds of dollars for something you could produce yourself must be horrible. I don't think you can really compare it to going out for steak, even if only because of the amount of money involved. Good luck in your search, and what a wonderful sister to have!

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:27pm
post #17 of 28

Ok - heres a shocker for you. I'm a hairdresser. I cut my own hair because I can't stand the thought of paying someone big bucks to do it for me. I'm a hobby cake decorator. My Son got married 2 yrs ago. I made his cake plus made all the rehearsal dinner. My daughter is getting married late Aug. Not only am I doing her cake. I've made all the invitations, jewlery for all the bridemaids, all the silk boutonnier, corsages, bridal boutiques and two flower arrangements. I'm making 600 enchaladis ,rice. beans, etc... Plus the day of the wedding I'm doing all the bridesmaids and my daughters hair. I'm way over the Top!! This is how I function . I will colaspe after all this and my husband will say "I told you so" But I when I collapse I will with a smile on my face.
Good luck with your decision. I'm no help LOL

funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 28

Oh I just want to add one more thing.
I have aprreciated all your advice on this site. Everyone has such wonderful tricks, ideas, and talent. Thank you all soooooo much for sharing everything.
Wendy

funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #19 of 28

Oh I just want to add one more thing.
I have aprreciated all your advice on this site. Everyone has such wonderful tricks, ideas, and talent. Thank you all soooooo much for sharing everything.
Wendy icon_smile.gif

gatorcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcake Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

So are you going to do a taste test at each bakery and then stamp your feet in disgust at their prices for "just cake" icon_biggrin.gif Only kidding. I can really see where you are coming from, paying hundreds of dollars for something you could produce yourself must be horrible. I don't think you can really compare it to going out for steak, even if only because of the amount of money involved. Good luck in your search, and what a wonderful sister to have!

Actually the price is irrelevant. The OP did not say I do want to pay back cakes are overpriced (which I thought was clear in the original post and subsequently clarified). The question was do you have any trouble paying someone for something you can do yourself? Not do you have trouble paying $800 for an overpriced wedding cake? Thus the comparison to going out for dinner is relevant. The point was to give a perspective on a situation where I do not like to spend any amount of money for something I can do myself. Most of us here probably (no matter what income status) are limited by our resouces (time and monetary). So yea I do not like to spend money on food as a principle when I know I can do the same or better. However I (and others) will go out when other resources (such as time) are more limited.

In this case the OP does not seem to be unable to pay for the cake, the limitation is one of time. So yes individuals do this everyday, trade money for time, to have other people do things we at the time because of other commitments do not have the time to do. Thus you pay the professional cake decorator for their talent and time to produce an item (that while you feel you have the ability to do) you do not have the time to do.

It is simply another way of thinking about the purchase by thinking about it in the same way people do everyday regarding food, lawns, hair, etc--and that is it is a trade-off of that is warranted by a limitation on other resources. You should have no problem paying a professional for whatever service if you do not have the time to do it yourself.

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I don't think she knocked anyone for charging a high price. She even said, "I find myself shopping around thinking I know these cakes are well worth the price...."

There have been many a great cake decorators on here that have said they wouldn't pay what they charge for a cake. So I don't think it means they are trying to devalue others work or time.

I can totally understand these thoughts and I honestly would have a hard time playing a large sum of money for a cake or any other item myself. Not because I don't think the cake would be worth it, or that the person making the time is over charging, I just hate paying a large sum of money for anything.

I totally agree! I would NEVER pay 100 dollars on my child's birthday cake. It has nothing to do with the decorator it has everything to do with my family doesn't have that kind of money to drop on something like that.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #22 of 28

I have just one thought that you may consider.
What if you offered to make some of the designs that will go on the cake to help defray the cost.
You could make them ahead of time and deliver them beforehand and hopefully whoever is making the cake will use them and cut their time in making the decorations for the cake. That is if there are a lot of flowers or whatever for decorations.
Just make sure that if the person who is doing the cake sees your portfolio of cakes so they know your quality of decorating and will not be leery of your talent.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 9:33pm
post #23 of 28

To answer the OPs question - I DO have a problem paying that kind of money for something that I can duplicate (at the same level, not stuff that is beyond my skills) and its because I am very frugal.

It has nothing to do with the professional bakers out there or in any other areas mentioned. I don't hire out anything except for going out to eat and that is because I have limited time. It seems like nowadays time is really more valuable than money when you work a regular job and have a family.

I am, however, like Wendy and I tend to "do-it-all" for the special events in my life, however, I have become much more streamlined. For a wedding in July, I made the boquets and flowers in February, the favors in March, the invites and plans to decorate the hall in April/May and now I am just waiting on "cake-time". I know beforehand that I will be superbusy when the wedding comes but at least I wont be half dead like the dozen or so weddings I have done before now. But I understand that for these events, I am good enough with my crafts and hiring these things out is a waste of money. If a super dooper fancy smanshy wedding was planned by a loved-one six or eight weeks from now, I would pony up some money (aka the wedding present) and attend the wedding just like everyone else.

In this case I think the OP is wise to find a baker and enjoy her sister's wedding because the trade-off of being there for her sister is well worth it.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:00pm
post #24 of 28

I say enjoy the wedding, pay for the cake and make the anniversary tier next year!

funtodecorate2 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 10:37pm
post #25 of 28

If I dont have time to plan things out I would go nuts. I'm a planner. I had major surgery May 3rd. So I had all my things gathered for all the flowers and jewelery. I worked on it while I was unable to be very mobile. So time and plannning is worth alot. Do you have a friend who could bake and fill for you. Really its the decorating that is much more fun anyway. maybe that would free up a little time yet give the sister flare I'm sure you would like to without costing too much time.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:13pm
post #26 of 28

Don't do it. First wedding cake I made (30 yrs ago) was for brother in law. Was ask to be bridesmaid too. Thought (foolishly) that I could do them both. Wedding was in August, terrible month in Tx for doing wedding cakes, let alone your 1st (for 250.)
Humidity was off the chart , hurricane had created loads of humidity, and temps were over 100. Stress levels were at an alarming level. Parents in law helped me transport, creating unnecessary stress for them. Husband was w/his bro. the groom, no help w/cake as he was enjoying wedding [as it should have been] Royal icing flowers falling off the cake during 25 mile transport. IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy either the wedding as a bridesmaid or as a cake decorator. As soon as the wedding was over, i RAN outta the wedding to the reception to check the cake. (I had repaired it best as possible.) Room was cool enough, cake stayed together enough, and in pics, problems barely noticible.
Would not recommend doing both from my experience ever. (It's funny now, looking back, but terrors on the day of, not had any issues like that EVER, since... lesson learned) hope this helps someone. : )

csue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csue Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #27 of 28

I made my son's wedding and groom cakes and regretted it. I so did not enjoy all the family that came to the wedding. I outsourced food for the wedding (future DIL's family had NO idea how much food was needed) and so wished I had done the cakes. I would have gladly paid the extra money especially since my father died 2 months later. I would have loved the extra time with him.

funtodecorate2 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 1:05am
post #28 of 28

Sorry for your Loss Csue

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%