Brand Spanking New.......

Decorating By coloradoflower Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 7:06am by sweettreat101

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:09am
post #1 of 5

I am new to this website, but self taught baker and cake decorator. Thanks to friend who was a wilton instructor she was able to give me the old and new course books. Buttercream is not my friend lol i honestly say I hate buttercream roses they never come out the way i want them. But oh well......icon_biggrin.gif
So i am wondering what are the most important and helpful hints y'all can pass along to a newbie. I can't wait to try the ideas that some of these cakes have inspired for me to try out. Of course not the exact same but little things that pop out. Thanks for your time.

4 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of 5

Lots of practice and lots of patience! Don't give up when you're trying something new and it's not working out, keep at it and it will get alot easier.

But most importantly have lots of fun icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:14am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoflower

I hate buttercream roses they never come out the way i want them.

I'd suggest being open to learning alternative techniques that aren't necessarily the Wilton way. I wish I had first learned to make buttercream roses on a stick rather than on the flathead rose nailit would have saved me a lot of time, if I had known that starting out. No doubtit's faster, and IMOit's easier.

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:56am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoflower

Buttercream is not my friend lol i honestly say I hate buttercream roses they never come out the way i want them. But oh well......icon_biggrin.gif

I used to think the same thing...and I am a Wilton Instructor. icon_confused.gif But I found that it was the recipe that I was using. Once I switched to the Indydebi's recipe my roses come out smooth & beautiful.

Also ... Wilton is not the only way to learn as the above post mentioned. When I get in class I have to concentrate on what the book says...because I've learned a better way (at least for me) to do the same technique. Plus Wilton only teaches the basics...I'm not knocking Wilton because some of the things I have learned has really helped ...

The internet & DVDs has been my best friend in learning how to decorate....here is a link that may help as well ... it called my Cake School & it's only $30 for the entire year.

http://mycakeschool.com/ (my cake school . com) I did it this way in case the website gets blocked
HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 7:06am
post #5 of 5

I have been decorating for eleven years and still hate making butter cream roses. I prefer making gumpaste flowers. I would suggest purchasing a five petal flower cutter. So easy to use and your flowers will turn out beautiful. There is three wonderful videos on youtube to show you how to go through each step. Type in how to make a gumpaste rose and look for expertvillage. I sat in front of my computer and watched each video over and over until I memorized each step.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%