Need A Buttercream Recipe With No Butter Or Milk.

Baking By Dreme Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 2:53pm by Sangriacupcake

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:00am
post #1 of 9

Does anyone know a good buttercream recipe that takes no butter or milk? Can you substitute lactaid for milk? Does a non dairy buttercream still ice smooth with no hairline cracks?

8 replies
bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:14am
post #2 of 9

You can generally replace the milk in most recipes with any liquid (juice, water, non-dairy creamer is really popular) and butter with shortening (you may want to add some butter flavoring). Also I've read that vinegar helps with cracks. Sugarshack has a very popular buttercream recipe on here that has neither butter or milk and lots of people like it. http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=sugarshack there are different versions depending on the size of your mixer. Good luck!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 9

Whimsical bakehouse has a house icing that uses sugar, water and shortening. I think it is out on the web, but I have the book. If you google for "Whimsical Bakehouse frosting" I am sure you will find it.

Indydeb's recipe I believe will work also. It uses shortening. I believe you can easily substitute water or nondairy creamer like bakingkat said.

Any vegan recipe will work also. Crisco or Spectrum shortening are both used in a shortening based recipe.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 9

If you are doing this for someone with severe milk allergies, you cannot use a regular non-dairy creamer. Even though it says "non-dairy", it contains cassein (sp?) a milk component - a friend whose daughter has life-threatening milk allergy pointed this out to me.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

If you are doing this for someone with severe milk allergies, you cannot use a regular non-dairy creamer. Even though it says "non-dairy", it contains cassein (sp?) a milk component - a friend whose daughter has life-threatening milk allergy pointed this out to me.

This is correct, I had to be dairy free until my son turned 1 because he was allergic and it was passing from me to him because we were nursing. I use Indydebi's recipe and I've used a great variety of other liquids in place of milk. I've used water for just vanilla, but you could use a vanilla syrup (Torani). Just be careful to read ALL labels if you are making this for someone with a milk allergy, you would be really surprised by what actually has Milk or Milk derivatives in it!

Oh! I just realized that the Dream Whip in Indydebi's recipe probably contains milk... let me see if I can dig up the buttercream recipe I used before my son outgrew his allergy!!

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you Spuddysmom! I was just about to point that out myself, as I have dairy allergies. Lactaid also still has milk proteins, so if it's a dairy allergy, then you have to avoid that as well.

I have used Earth Balance buttery sticks in my own buttercream at home, although your frosting will not be white-white. The Earth Balance is the closest tasting to real butter I've found, at least in our area. You can substitute any other type of milk in your frostings, including soy and almond (I like to use Silk Pure Almond Vanilla flavor).

For the farmers market, on my vegan cuppies, I use a cooked almond milk frosting... 1 cup almond milk, and 5 tbsp flour, blended and cooked on the stove until paste like, stirring the whole time. Place wax paper or parchment over the mixture and let cool to room temperature. Meanwhile, blend well 1 stick butter (again, I use the Earth Balance - it's non-dairy), 1/2 cup crisco, and one cup granulated sugar. When I say blend well, I mean blend the heck out of it, go long beyond what you think you'll need. When the milk and flour mixture is cooled to room temp, add that to the mixer (it will be almost solid by now, and very sticky), and again, blend the heck out of it (I've read somewhere, it should be about 15 minutes). It's not a sweet recipe, but is very creamy and light. If it seems gritty, you didn't blend it enough, keep going!

** edited to add-- This frosting doesn't crust, just so you know...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 9

pett, have you ever added the sugar to the cooked almond milk/flour mixture? It would certainly dissolve that way. Just wondering . . .

pettmybunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pettmybunny Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #8 of 9

No, I haven't done that. I pretty much just follow the recipe, although I tweak for my allergies. I've run the sugar through my food processor once, trying to turn it into castor sugar, but that didn't really make a difference either.

I worry that if I put it in with the flour and milk mixture, that it will change the consistency and I won't get the paste that makes this recipe so creamy. Maybe I'll try it next time...

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddysmom

Big YES! We have lots of milk allergies in the family and I'm constantly reading labels.

"Non-dairy" creamers are out. Acceptable alternatives are soy milk and soy creamers, as well as the other milk alternatives like almond, rice, etc. I've used them all with good results.

Dream whip is NOT dairy free.

Most margarines contain milk derivatives. Fleischman's Unsalted stick margarine is totally milk free and tastes quite good, but it can be hard to locate, and none of the other Fleischman products are safe. Earth Balance is dairy free, but I don't like using it for buttercream because it's colored bright yellow.

Also, I don't know if you're using cake mixes, but most of them have milk ingredients! Duncan Hines has a few flavors that are dairy-free, including red velvet and yellow.

hth
Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%