Gumpaste Wave

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:51am
post #1 of 7

I have a surfing cake due next week and the cliet wants her husband to surf on a wave. It will be a half sheet cake, half beach and half water with a giant wave. For the wave I plan on using 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix and let it dry over a 2 liter bottle. What suggestions does anyone have on getting it to stay on the cake? The cake will be buttercream, so im going to try to blend it with royal icing, but I am worried that it will fall over on the cake. Has anyone done one of these before? How can I get it to stay on th cake securely? Thank you!

6 replies
mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:20am
post #2 of 7

What about shaping the part of the cake into a wave itself? So for the beach part it's flat and then take some more cake and put it ontop (where the water part is) and carve it into a wave. That way you can cover it in fondant without having to use gumpaste and it's supported.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 7

You might try small dowels in it, which then would go through the cake and help hold it up. If the wave is of any size, that's what I'd suggest.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 7

Ever consider using modeling chocolate? It "dries" almost instantly, tastes infinitly better and is super easy to work with.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Ever consider using modeling chocolate? It "dries" almost instantly, tastes infinitly better and is super easy to work with.

She'll still have to find a way to support the wave if it's out of modelling chocolate. Otherwise, it would just fall over, especially on an all butter-cream cake. It's got to have some support in there.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 7

I would insert a couple of bamboo skewers or dowels into the bottom of the wave before setting it to dry.

The cake would be on at least 1" thick foamboard (2 layers of 1/2 inch glued together). Poke a couple of holes in the cakeboard and fill them with royal icing or melted chocolate. Insert the wave. Let the icing or choc firm up.

Cut the cake into pieces and arrange them around the wave. Since you're going to be making an imperfect surface (sand, water, etc), the piecing shouldn't be noticeable.

When you make your wave, rely on illusion. Don't make it top heavy or it may commit suicide on the cake!

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 7

thank you all for the suggestions!! I am making the wave today icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%