Drippy Icing Cake - Over Buttercream

Decorating By momofwar Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm by momofwar

momofwar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofwar Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 3

I love the drippy icing cakes that I've seen CCers make (and LOVE the ones done by Andrea from Andrea's Sweetcakes), and wondered if someone could tell me how to do this effect over buttercream? I don't want to cover the whole cake in fondant and then put a fondant "drippy" layer on top of that. Is there a way to lay the drippy fondant directly over a smoothly buttercreamed (which I can do) cake? Do I freeze the cake before laying the drippy fondant on it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. icon_smile.gif

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 3

If I understand correctly what you want to accomplish usually b'cream, ice cream topping, ganach, or poured fondant is used. Anything that can be heated to 'loosen' it to pouring consistency. I've only done it once or twice. I think it would help if the cake was very cold/fzn.

momofwar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofwar Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the ideas, Kakeladi. But I think it's just MMF layed on top. Here is a sample of what I'm talking about:

I want to do the same thing, except I'd like the sides of the cake to be covered in only buttercream. How do I lay the fondant over the cake without ruining the smoothed buttercream? Do I do this with the cake frozen? Any and all ideas are GREATLY appreciated! I'm doing a wonky Cat in the Hat cake this weekend for my 3-yr-old, and am trying to figure this out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%