Help! Fondant Is Dry & Hard

Decorating By summernmicah99 Updated 19 Jun 2011 , 4:02am by bananabread

summernmicah99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernmicah99 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 1:54am
post #1 of 6

Please help! I'm making a surprise bday cake for a friend - party is tomorrow, they don't know I'm planning to bring a cake.
Cake is baked beautiful, but I discovered I don't have enough ps or butter to make a fresh batch buttercream icing...
OK no prob. I have homemade marshmallow fondant I can use to cover this cake. Pulled out the fondant & it is dried out rock hard...
Eek! Not enough supplies or time to make more, so my question is -
1 - Can I add shortening to the fondant to soften?
2 - Should I try to soften in microwave?
3 - Maybe do both??

I have enough buttercream for the base ice under the fondant but not enough for the full cake w/decorations... I have enough fondant for EVERYTHING if I can salvage it. My DH has the car at work - so no running to the store for supplies... Please help with any ideas to fix this! Thanks in advance!

5 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:21am
post #2 of 6

I am very interested in any answers you get, because I too have had dried fondant that I had tried to take care of properly when not using and have been very disheartened to find it dry and hard. I have thrown it out, but if I could save and use would love to know....hope you get an answer very soon.

cakemamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaof3 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:30am
post #3 of 6

With regular fondant and gumpaste that is not dry and knock on wood hard you can knead with shortening to soften, however, MMF needs to be used the day of or maybe up to three days after you have made it. When was your MMF made? I always keep stash of a couple bags of marshmallows and unopened ps in case I need to make some MMF so I will always have the ingredients.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

Yes, put in microwave on very low heat . Do this until you see that it is softening up. Then put crisco on hands really good, and knead into fondant. Do this several time. I have made mmf several times. but haven,t had this problem. I usually make reg. fondant or buy it. This is what i do if this gets hard on me. I keep it in freezer , after making it. You will know if it is going to come together or not. I sometimes use a little glycerine( from michaels) in it also. This helps it to soften and be more pliable. Is your mmf newly made or made for some time or what. Just try all i have said , and see how it comes out. I have read on this site , that this is how most bring their mmf back to how it should feel and do. hth be sure , you use low heat.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 2:59am
post #5 of 6

ditto on what icer101 said.

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:02am
post #6 of 6

your fondant is very hard because you are using too much sugar. Next time is better to use half pound less when you mix your ingredients, then is you see that is soft you can add more sugar little by little

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%