Help Plz! Bulging Cake...can I Fix It?

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 5:35am by sweettreat101

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 15

Ok, I have done absolutely EVERYTHING to prevent the dreaded bulge! I leveled, torted and filled (I even followed the cake boss tutorial on how to prevent bulging) my cakes yesterday and then used the ceramic tile to help with the settling of the cake. Then I let the cake set in the fridge over night. Then this morning I took the cake out, trimmed the bulging and then let the cake set for about 50 minutes before I crumb coated the cake. So, here I am after crumb coating and putting on the final coat of BC and there it is...THE BULGE! I'm so upset I could cry! Is there anyway I can salvage the cake before I begin to decorate? I'm really concerned because I have to put fondant stripes and a pirate hook on top of the cake so the weight of the accents are bound to cause me more trouble. Can anyone help me? PLEASE?!

Thanks In Advance! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

14 replies
jewordsoflife Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 15

Please? Does anyone have any suggestions? Even if I can't fix it, I need to know. TIA

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 15

The first thing to do is take a deep breath. Now how big is the bulge? Sometimes we are our own worst critics, umm I guess most of the time. Anyway I can't imagine the bulge being that big. Once you get the decorations on, it will probably be less noticeable and only jump out at you. Can you take a cake board the size of the pirates hook cover it in fondant and dowel the cake like you would a tiered cake? That would relieve the extra pressure from the weight. Hope this gives you some ideas and will help in some way.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 15

I don't know about fixing bulging, but here's what I do. In Sharon Zambito's DVD, she makes a very firm buttercream and pipes a dam. When I say firm, you can pick it up and roll it into a log with your hands. Now, since it really hurts my hands to pipe that thick buttercream, I just work in enough powdered sugar to make it firm enough to roll into a log. Then I roll it into about 1/2 rope on my worktable and lay it around the perimeter of the cake. Then add the filling. That seems to have stopped my cake bulges.

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 15

A previous thread on bulging that should help. icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-719652-bulge.html

jewordsoflife Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflowercakes

The first thing to do is take a deep breath. Now how big is the bulge? Sometimes we are our own worst critics, umm I guess most of the time. Anyway I can't imagine the bulge being that big. Once you get the decorations on, it will probably be less noticeable and only jump out at you. Can you take a cake board the size of the pirates hook cover it in fondant and dowel the cake like you would a tiered cake? That would relieve the extra pressure from the weight. Hope this gives you some ideas and will help in some way.

I will admitt, I am a bit of a perfectionist but it's definitely noticable. However, the buldge isn't the only issue now icon_sad.gif Since I wasn't getting any response, I tried my best to fix it by smoothing (i use the viva method) and refrigerating and smoothing and refigerating again and now the cake seems to be sliding/tilting? I'm at a loss. I think the filling could be an issue as well-I did the bavarian cream recipe from this site and added thinly sliced strawberries. That may be the sliding culprit icon_sad.gif
I do appreciate your tip. I'm going to give it a try, certainly couldn't hurt icon_razz.gif I'm still open to any other suggestions.
THANK YOU!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 15

I tried to post earlier, but it didn't show up.

settling does NOT happen if the cake is refrigerated. In the fridge the filling gets firm. When you take it out it comes to room temp and that's when it's going to bulge if it is going to bulge.

Sliced strawberries coming into contact with sugar (in the Bav) causes them to release juice. Juice = slippery.

refrigerators and cakes are not always a good combo.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 15

I'd weight it again - with the tile PLUS some added weight... AND at room temperature - for an hour or so. Then trim again and proceed to finish.

If it's slipping, push a bubble straw or dowel down through the center of the cake to stabilize it.

If you want to ensure no bulging.... do the above, trim, and then coat with a generous layer of chocolate ganache to seal up the cake and to lock in the shape.

jewordsoflife Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I tried to post earlier, but it didn't show up.

settling does NOT happen if the cake is refrigerated. In the fridge the filling gets firm. When you take it out it comes to room temp and that's when it's going to bulge if it is going to bulge.

Sliced strawberries coming into contact with sugar (in the Bav) causes them to release juice. Juice = slippery.

refrigerators and cakes are not always a good combo.

So, how do you get a cake to properly settle when the filling needs to be refrigerated? There has to be a way to conquer this without being confined to using BC or jams for fillings!! icon_razz.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:12am
post #10 of 15

Well, none of the fillings I use need to be refrigerated. Because I never want to have to put my cake in the fridge.

Try mixing some sleeved fillings with either a soft non-crusting bc, Indydebi's bc or Bettercream.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:13am
post #11 of 15

fresh strawberries and sugar = juicy strawberries. the sugar extracts the juice from the berries = guaranteed mess between your layers, not to mention, if the juice does happen to penetrate the filling, soggy cake as it absorbs the juice.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:33am
post #12 of 15

I'm not an expert, but if I have a filling that needs to be refrigerated I never let the cake reach room temperature at any point until just before serving.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 1:45am
post #13 of 15

i don't use fillings that need to be refigerated either. not only because of the settling issues, but don't want to cause botulism in the heat this time of year (100 degrees plus) at some point, that cake has to come back up to room temp. if the cake sits out for any time at all prior to the party/event, it could create that buldging situation while it sits in that time before the party. if they sit longer than 2-4 hrs before, odds are this'll happen as the cake naturally settles due to gravity.

jewordsoflife Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Well, none of the fillings I use need to be refrigerated. Because I never want to have to put my cake in the fridge.

Try mixing some sleeved fillings with either a soft non-crusting bc, Indydebi's bc or Bettercream.

Guess I'm gonna have to start trying out some new flavors icon_smile.gif thanks for the help! I'm actually excites about experimenting icon_smile.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:35am
post #15 of 15

I try not to use gel fillings or bavarian creams. They are not very stable especially stacked cakes or cakes with heavy decorations. That's why I switched to a vanilla mousse made with whipping cream and pudding. Two cups whipping cream one small box instant vanilla pudding. Whip until peaks form. It really is a nice sturdy filling and will stay in the fridge for up to one week. I have never had a cake slide or bulge when using this filling and my customers love it. Tastes kind of like a bavarian cream anyways. A friend of mine at work left cupcake cakes out on the counter overnight and ate them the next day and they were fine. I personally will not leave a cake out more that four hours using this filling. I like to make sure the cake is nice and chilled before delivery. Give it a try I know you will love working with it and the taste too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%