Giving Up On Ganache

Decorating By puddles_gal Updated 6 Jul 2011 , 3:53pm by Ladyfish74

puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 19

I have tried making a whipped chocolate ganache twice, and both times, have majorly failed! I would love to use it as a filling for my cake, but have no luck at all. I found a recipe calling for 3/4 cup whipping cream and 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate. I halved the recipe because I didn't need a lot, and followed the directions: let cream come just to a boil, pour over chopped chocolate, let sit 5 mins, stir, then I left it in the fridge for about 45 mins. Whipped it with the beater for 2 minutes and it looked and tasted great, then about all of 5 minutes later of sitting on the counter, it had turned into a crumbly mess!!! This happened to me both times I made it-what am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

18 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 19

People have reported crumbly ganache when making it with chocolate chips. I don't know if that's what you used, but it's been known to be a problem. Also, the consensus is that you have to do this by weight: 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream. So for 8 ounces of chocolate, you would need 4 ounces of cream. If you're using milk or white chocolate (which I see you're not), the ratio would be 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream. I usually don't whip mine, because I found that it had about the same consistency whether I did or didn't do it. I don't generally put mine in the fridge, but leave it out covered overnight or for several hours, until it ends up the consistency of peanut butter, more or less. I would encourage you not to give up but to try again if something I suggest is different from what you've been doing, because the stuff is wonderful when it turns out - tasty and a dream to put under fondant. I hope some of this has been helpful, because I'm a ganache fanatic.

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 19

The problem is the fridge. Leave your ganache on the counter at room temp. Chocolate and water are NOT friends. As it comes to temperature condensation is created (water) and it will cause your chocolate to seize (crumble and get hard). Try it with Marianna's instructions (it's how you are supposed to make ganache) and you will be pleased. I was terrified the 1st time but once it set up it was AMAZING!!! Good luck!!!

Alery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alery Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 19

I was getting frustrated with the inconsistency in my ganache until someone here on CC posted the link to this video on how to make ganache in the microwave: http://www.artandappetite.com/category/recipes/
Now I get great ganache every time. It's not whipped but I hope this helps anyway.
And I agree that everything needs to be weighed.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

People have reported crumbly ganache when making it with chocolate chips. I don't know if that's what you used, but it's been known to be a problem. Also, the consensus is that you have to do this by weight: 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part cream. So for 8 ounces of chocolate, you would need 4 ounces of cream. If you're using milk or white chocolate (which I see you're not), the ratio would be 3 parts chocolate to 1 part cream. I usually don't whip mine, because I found that it had about the same consistency whether I did or didn't do it. I don't generally put mine in the fridge, but leave it out covered overnight or for several hours, until it ends up the consistency of peanut butter, more or less. I would encourage you not to give up but to try again if something I suggest is different from what you've been doing, because the stuff is wonderful when it turns out - tasty and a dream to put under fondant. I hope some of this has been helpful, because I'm a ganache fanatic.

Totally agree thumbs_up.gif

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #6 of 19

I made ganache for the first time last weekend. I used the video above for directions and it was wonderful. I was really nervous but it was easy. I also think water had a part to play in the crumbling. Maybe if you leave it covered until it comes to room temp that might help.

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 12:14am
post #7 of 19

If you over whip the ganache, it goes to the crumbly stage. I sit my ganache in a sink full of ice to cool it down then whip it. Whip it until it thickens slightly and let it sit. It firms up. If not quite enough whip a bit more. The key is to not whip it too much.

puddles_gal Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you so much for the advice everyone! I will try leaving it on the counter next time, if I get brave enough to try it again. Lol.

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 19

I think that for whipped ganache, you need a softer ganache, more like a 1:1 ratio. It will seem to be not firm enough, but the whipping will work better. I've also heard a recommended ratio for whipped ganache to be 1 part chocolate to 2 parts cream, so even thinner. The moisture shouldn't be a problem. Chocolate alone seizes with a little moisture because of the chemical reaction. When you add the cream, you are beyond this reaction because you already added enough liquid to the chocolate to keep it from seizing. After all, cream IS liquid and has water in it. To quote Shirley O'Corriher in Bakewise, "...when you get a little moisture on melted chocolate the fine, dry sugar and cocoa particles glue together to change melted chocolate into a solid, grainy mess." The solution is to add enough liquid to wet all of the particles, then they will no longer seize. When you add the cream, you do this, so no more seizing. The problem has to be something else. I'm guessing your ganache is too thick to begin with and/or is over-mixed. HTH!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 19

I agree add more cream than the 2:1 ratio and keep it out of the fridge. This is only for whipped ganache though. It firms up into melt in your mouth yumminess. Don't give up :p

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:08pm
post #11 of 19

I use whipped ganache all the time made with chocolate chips. It is awesome. Here is the recipe I use from Southern Living Magazine:

1 1/2 cups whipping cream ( I prefer Land o Lakes whipping cream)
12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate (use real chocolate) chips (I used Nestle Toll House, but any good chocolate will do)
3 TBS butter (not margarine)

Bring whipping cream almost to a boil (scald). Take off heat, stir in choc chips and let melt. Stir to combine and then whisk in the butter by hand until melted. Let cool 20 minutes (not in fridge) before using. Now you have ganache that can be used like you normally would use it, to drip off cake, whatever. You do not need to cool in the refrigerator!
To whip it, put in your mixer with your whisk attachment and start whipping it on high and leave it there. It takes a lot longer than 2 minutes, but don't give up on it...eventually it will start fluffing up. When it forms soft peaks stop. You can whip it stiffer but you don't want it to get clumpy. Watch carefully. The soft peak stage is great for filling, for frosting...etc. I freeze any excess and use it as needed...it stays whipped. Trust me, this is the easiest thing ever to do. It also keeps well in the refrigerator.

puddles_gal Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 19

Sounds easy enough-I will have to give this one a try! Thank you! icon_surprised.gif)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I use whipped ganache all the time made with chocolate chips. It is awesome. Here is the recipe I use from Southern Living Magazine:

12 ounce bag of semi-sweet chocolate (use real chocolate) chips (I used Nestle Toll House, but any good chocolate will do)

Bring whipping cream almost to a boil (scald). Take off heat, stir in choc chips and let melt. Stir to combine and then whisk in the butter by hand until melted. Let cool 20 minutes (not in fridge) before using. Now you have ganache that can be used like you normally would use it, to drip off cake, whatever. You do not need to cool in the refrigerator!
To whip it, put in your mixer with your whisk attachment and start whipping it on high and leave it there. It takes a lot longer than 2 minutes, but don't give up on it...eventually it will start fluffing up. When it forms soft peaks stop. You can whip it stiffer but you don't want it to get clumpy. Watch carefully. The soft peak stage is great for filling, for frosting...etc. I freeze any excess and use it as needed...it stays whipped. Trust me, this is the easiest thing ever to do. It also keeps well in the refrigerator.

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:28pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:

I will be trying this as well! But I was wondering if you do a white chocolate with this recipe and if so what are your measurements?
TIA! icon_smile.gif

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 19

I made ganache for the first time this weekend and it turned out perfectly.. I used 1 part cream to 2 parts chocolate and I used Giradhelli chocolate chips. I used 400 ml of cream and 800 grams of chocolate. No butter.

I watched this video:

and followed her directions to a tee. My microwave is pretty powerful so I adjusted the time I zapped my mixture. I'm a visual learner so watching the video helped.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:02pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddles_gal

I have tried making a whipped chocolate ganache twice, and both times, have majorly failed! I would love to use it as a filling for my cake, but have no luck at all. I found a recipe calling for 3/4 cup whipping cream and 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate. I halved the recipe because I didn't need a lot, and followed the directions: let cream come just to a boil, pour over chopped chocolate, let sit 5 mins, stir,
So far your doing great - thumbs_up.gif

then I left it in the fridge for about 45 mins.
Arghhhhh - WHY? - who said to do that- icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif

Whipped it with the beater for 2 minutes and it looked and tasted great,
then about all of 5 minutes later of sitting on the counter, it had turned into a crumbly mess!!!
I am not surprised - sorry - but i think i would turn into a crumbly mess if i was whippd after coming ut of the frige too - icon_wink.gif

This happened to me both times I made it-what am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif
Oh petal - after making it - letting it sit for a few minutes - then stirring it - just leave it on your bench top - no need to put in the fridge - the moisture getting into the chocolate will be causing it to seize...honestly.
Ganache doesn't like the fridge.
I have been making it for years - and never put it in the fridge. thumbsdown.gif

IF i have some left over - i will freeze - making sure it in in an airtight container - but never in the fridge.

I do hope this helps you - icon_smile.gif
try again - i am sure you wil have better luck next time thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 19

My ganache has turned out perfectly every time. And it is all due to following the great advice of people on this site. I kept a little file on different applications and problems before I ever made it. Thanks, everyone.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 5 Jul 2011 , 5:04pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:

I've never used ganache, but I'd like to try it. Since it has whipping cream, is it safe to stay out at room temp, or out in the heat of summer? I'm always afraid of getting someone sick!! Thanks!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 19

I've left it out for several days, both on and off of cakes in this really hot climate where I live, and I've never had a problem with it going bad - it does eventually, but in weeks, not in days (I accidentally left a container of it in my cabinet for over a month one time and when I found it, it was all moldy, so it eventually goes bad, but what doesn't?).

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 19

When ganache' is whipped too much the cream becomes butter, that's why it gets crumbly. Ganache really likes to set up at room temperature which is why it should be done the day before you use it. Put plastic on it touching the surface and press out any air bubbles. Don't be impatient and don't get nervous. It won't sour, the sugar stabilizes it. You really don't need to whip it but if you want to, don't whip it for more than 30 to 45 seconds with a whisk attachment. Hope this helps. Mine always turns out fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%