How On Earth Do You Ice Mini Cakes?!

Decorating By KJF1985 Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm by DeniseNH

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 5

My mom got me a cake pan with four mini three tiered cakes. In my first attempt to use them, I completely botched the icing job. It was so difficult because they just moved around!! I read somewhere that it's best to pipe it onto mini cakes? And then just smooth it with a spatula? Any help is appreciated!!

4 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 5

I have not done this yet with mini cakes like that, but I pipe my icing on to my 4in cakes, slightly looser bc so it doesn't move too much once I go to spreading it with my spatula, but I make sure my spatula is nice and hot with each swipe to glide across and smooth the icing! HTH! Have you thought of pouring ganache or fondant??

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 5

The smallest cake i do is 4" but, for that, i duct tape its board to a larger cake board & then duct tape the larger board to my turn table. Hth!

KJF1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJF1985 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 5

ahahaha love the duct tape idea!!

Both of those are very helpful. I've never used poured fondant (how does it taste?) but was thinking I might just try to cover them in rolled fondant. I want to use them with a larger tiered cake I'm doing later in the month and wanted to practice since I hadn't used them. However, the larger cake is buttercream so I didn't want to stray from that for design sake... I will definitely try piping then smoothing with a spatula. Thanks!!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:13pm
post #5 of 5

I put mine on a non-skid pad - otherwise I'd be chasing those little devils around on the counter till the sun came up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%