Few Fondant Questions.

Decorating By KylaQ Updated 18 Jun 2011 , 2:48am by KylaQ

KylaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylaQ Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake similar to this. And have a few questions.

http://mainmadecakes.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/1st-birthday-cake-with-butterflies-flowers/

1-the wires that the butterflies are on. Where can I get those? Is it just craft wire?

2- I plan to use the Duff's brand of premade fondant for this cake. This will be my 1st time using premade. Any reviews on it?

3- how long will it take to dry out? I plan to give the flowers and butterflies some shape around the edges and especially using it on top of the cake how long do I need to wait?

And just any other tips you can think of for making a cake like this.

Thanks!

6 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 7

Hello!

1. It may be floral wire wrapped, the picture is small for me so i can't really tell.

2. I've never used Duff's brand, I typically use Satin Ice, but I've heard reviews from other CC'ers that they like Duffs'.

3. As far as drying, it depends on how thick you make them. If you mix a 50/50 fondant/gumpaste, they'll dry a little faster, and be a little lighter.. but if you use all gum paste, you can make them thinner and they'll dry faster and harder. icon_smile.gif

HTH.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with CutieMcCakes and I tried duffs and was amazed at how good it tasted.

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 7

I almost forgot, because I'm uneasy about putting wire or even wrapped wire in cakes I put a straw in the cake then put the wire in the straw. Hth

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 6:59pm
post #5 of 7

Duff's is good. Just plan on adding 50/50 gum paste to it. It is quite soft.icon_smile.gif But with some gum paste added it works perfectly.

myheartsdesire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myheartsdesire Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

BTW, I meant add gum paste for the decorations, not for covering the cake.icon_smile.gif

KylaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylaQ Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #7 of 7

I should also mention that this is going to be a 1st birthday party cake. So lots of kids. Not really wanting something that will get as hard as gum paste. Will the fondant dry as hard as the gum paste?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%