What Did She Expect!!!!!! Vent!!!

Decorating By CakeLady1981 Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 6:07pm by BakerAnn

alicfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicfisher Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #31 of 54

The thing with Facebook and email is that text can be taken out of context. I can understand why the lady has not replied. Did you really think that she would! Sending an email off the back of reading a Facebook post was both unprofessional and I insensitive. Poor business decision in my opinion.
It seems that you obviously need the business referrals as you were clearly annoyed that you would no longer be receiving the advertising. Surely even with a 10% discount you were still making a decent profit and would receive word of mouth referrals for you work, which in my opinion is the best advertising. It seems that all you have managed to secure from this is really bad word of mouth from this client in her personal and work life. Everytime anyone talks about a cake she will say "don't get it from 'cakelady 1981'......blah,blah,blah" it won't matter what she says, people will just remember not to use 'you'.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:03pm
post #32 of 54

I'm sorry to say this, but I feel a bit badly for CakeLady1981. Yes, she made a mistake, but we are all really rubbing it in and being a bit nasty to her aren't we?? We all make mistakes.. it's just important to learn from them.

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #33 of 54

Thanks for clarifying...I guess, um...carry on seeking out cake advertising via bowling alleys.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:52pm
post #34 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

But let's all take a lesson to remember that the ass you kick today might be the one you have to kiss tomorrow. icon_wink.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 2:04am
post #35 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicfisher

The thing with Facebook and email is that text can be taken out of context.

Thats why I don't understand why people on here jump on people so fast with their opinions and such. Then keep it going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going....and going

KylaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KylaQ Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:00am
post #36 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sugar_Fairy

I'm sorry to say this, but I feel a bit badly for CakeLady1981. Yes, she made a mistake, but we are all really rubbing it in and being a bit nasty to her aren't we?? We all make mistakes.. it's just important to learn from them.

I couldn't agree more!

Otulissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Otulissa Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:34am
post #37 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

Two things came into my head when I read your post:

First, as many have said, not great to actively send out a kick to someone who is down like that.

EXACTLY! It was pretty darn mean of you.

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #38 of 54

We all have said or done things without thinking them through first. I would like to suggest to the OP that she do her business a huge favor by phoning the woman directly and "eating a little crow." It takes a big person to call and say something like, "In a knee jerk reaction I emailed you without considering all the aspects. I am very sorry about your job loss and equally sorry that I thought first as a business owner rather than a fellow human being. Please accept my apologies as well as the discount you and I had originally discussed. It would mean a lot to me to be able to renew our relationship."

mena2002 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:01am
post #39 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerAnn

We all have said or done things without thinking them through first. I would like to suggest to the OP that she do her business a huge favor by phoning the woman directly and "eating a little crow." It takes a big person to call and say something like, "In a knee jerk reaction I emailed you without considering all the aspects. I am very sorry about your job loss and equally sorry that I thought first as a business owner rather than a fellow human being. Please accept my apologies as well as the discount you and I had originally discussed. It would mean a lot to me to be able to renew our relationship."

Well said thumbs_up.gif

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:34am
post #40 of 54

With the first message I too thought it was abit mean as the woman had lost her job but after reading the second message fro the OP I actually kind of agree with her.

The deal was that the lady advertise in the bowling alley and she would get a good discount on her cakes but she hasnt actually done any advertising yet so she really hasnt kept her side of the bargain.

Maybe OP shouldnt have sent the email so fast but she had to be clear to the customer that she wouldnt now be entitled to her discount as she couldnt deliver the advertising as promised.

Dont forget the baker has had to pay for flyers to be printed that she isnt sure she can use at the bowling alley now so the deal has already cost her without even making any cakes.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 7:05am
post #41 of 54

Wow, you jumped the gun on this one. I would have still given her the discount that you agreed on. Word of mouth is one of the BEST ways to get business. Instead of telling people, "Oh this great cake lady, who makes amazing cakes, is so great to work with..." She is now going to be telling people "Can you believe this email I got, I've lost my job, my source of income and all this lady can do is send me an email backing out of her end of the agreement." Not good for business. She probably still had "connections" at the bowling alley (friends who were her co-workers) that could have helped her advertise for you.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:46pm
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

Wow, you jumped the gun on this one. I would have still given her the discount that you agreed on. Word of mouth is one of the BEST ways to get business. Instead of telling people, "Oh this great cake lady, who makes amazing cakes, is so great to work with..." She is now going to be telling people "Can you believe this email I got, I've lost my job, my source of income and all this lady can do is send me an email backing out of her end of the agreement." Not good for business. She probably still had "connections" at the bowling alley (friends who were her co-workers) that could have helped her advertise for you.

IMO many people often read the initial post and then jump to respond rather than reading thru the entire post. The Op has psoted more information on page 2 of this thread.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettyviolet101

Quote:

That's why I don't understand why people on here jump on people so fast with their opinions and such. Then keep it going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going....and going

It's an internet forum. That's the way they work. They ALL have that dynamic. That's why you have to look at internet forums with a grain of salt.

I've been an active member in many forums over the years, from cakes, to theatre, to computers, to graphic arts, and on and on. The one thing they all have in common is that 1/4 of the folks giving advice are lying about who they are and what they do, claiming far more education and experience than they really have. Another 1/4 are here just to stir the pot. Threads like these become a feeding frenzy game to them. Another 1/4 are using you to take out their frustrations. When they talk you into smacking a bride down, it's really because they are frustrated and wish they could smack them themselves. They are living vicariously through their bad advice. The final third are genuine, concerned, helpful, people who really are who they say they are. These last ones may have good advice. But they may also have bad advice.

I think anyone who participates in an online forum will be better off if they understand this. Then you can participate as you like and hopefully are discerning in separating the wheat from the chaff, allowing you to find the help you are looking for.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:21pm
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

I've been an active member in many forums over the years, from cakes, to theatre, to computers, to graphic arts, and on and on. The one thing they all have in common is that 1/4 of the folks giving advice are lying about who they are and what they do, claiming far more education and experience than they really have. Another 1/4 are here just to stir the pot. Threads like these become a feeding frenzy game to them. Another 1/4 are using you to take out their frustrations. When they talk you into smacking a bride down, it's really because they are frustrated and wish they could smack them themselves. They are living vicariously through their bad advice. The final third are genuine, concerned, helpful, people who really are who they say they are. These last ones may have good advice. But they may also have bad advice.

I'd say you're 1/2 right ... 1/2 wrong ... and 1/2 bad with fractions. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

mena2002 Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:25pm
post #45 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsyJ

Quote:
Quote:

I'd say you're 1/2 right ... 1/2 wrong ... and 1/2 bad with fractions. icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 5:56pm
post #46 of 54

Okay. You're a terrible person and no one wants to be your friend anymore. However --

A contract is a contract. If I agree to provide a service for you in return for something from you, we have a contract. If I don't provide that service, you in turn, are under no obligation to live up to your part of the bargain. That's the law.

If you chose to honor your part of the bargain, not because you felt sorry for this woman, but because it would have been an astute business decision to do so, then all well and good.

If this were a forum about anything but cake and if the majority of the community here was men? This would be a non-issue.

That being said...My Facebook status this morning indicated that I would be vacationing with Johnny Depp because he just can't keep his hands off me. Beware taking action due to FB postings.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:05pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:

Aack! LOL! This is why I left pharmacy school.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 6:30pm
post #48 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Aack! LOL! This is why I left pharmacy school.

Oh that is funny!! Thank you for the laugh! Have a great weekend!!

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 4:27am
post #49 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's why I don't understand why people on here jump on people so fast with their opinions and such. Then keep it going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going and going....and going

It's an internet forum. That's the way they work. They ALL have that dynamic. That's why you have to look at internet forums with a grain of salt.

I think anyone who participates in an online forum will be better off if they understand this. Then you can participate as you like and hopefully are discerning in separating the wheat from the chaff, allowing you to find the help you are looking for.

Very Very well said!! Thats why I think its so funny how people take everything as truth or instantly start calling people liars because no one knows the facts but go on and on as if they knew every side of everything. I think waht bugs me the most is when people seem to feel that the world would end with out their opinion or be mean while saying they are just trying to help. lol such is life huh???

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #50 of 54
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Couldn't agree more with this!! Should be obligatory reading on joining CC - the thing with forums is that .. on the internet nobody knows you are a cat.... or more to the point - the person giving YOU the business advice may have been bankrupt half a dozen times - do you really think they are going to add that piece of info? I've seen people with quite a shady business history become forum heroes - a little online investigation bursts the bubble and makes it a little bit harder to hold them in such high esteem. Sad part is - a lot of people take a lot of this advice as gospel and don't bother researching for themselves.

CakeLady1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeLady1981 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #51 of 54

Little update!

The customer contacted me and apologized for not responding to my messages. She fully understands that she will not get a discount due to no longer working at the bowling alley. She has had to move her Wedding date that is on a date that works for us AND she has sent us another bride who needs a cake next month!!

God is Good! And everything works out in the end!

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 5:29pm
post #52 of 54

That's great news! icon_smile.gif

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:00pm
post #53 of 54

Great news thumbs_up.gif Glad to hear it!!

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 6:07pm
post #54 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeLady1981

Little update!

The customer contacted me and apologized for not responding to my messages. She fully understands that she will not get a discount due to no longer working at the bowling alley. She has had to move her Wedding date that is on a date that works for us AND she has sent us another bride who needs a cake next month!!

God is Good! And everything works out in the end!

Yes He is and yes it does! And I am so glad to hear the whole thing was only lack of communication. You didn't ask for my opinion, but I just want to say if it was me I would still give her some kind of discount especially in light of the referral she's sent you. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%