Stumped: Adding Leveling Agent (Bp) To Extend Cake Mix?

Baking By Jan1956 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 4:32am by Jan1956

Jan1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan1956 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to the forum. My first post! icon_smile.gif
I am going to attempt to make a White Velvet Wedding Cake using DH's Cake Mix. I want to use an extended version BUT, but my biggest question is "Should a leveling agent (baking powder, baking soda) be added?" All the recipes found so far do not include it. I'm tempted to add some (1/2 tsp. baking powder) anyway. I do not want the cake too dense or heavy. But I do not want a failure.
Help! I'm baking today. icon_redface.gif

White Velvet Wedding Cake

Makes 7 ½ cups batter
***One recipe makes: Two 8″ or one 9x13" sheet rounds, or two 6″ rounds + 6 cupcakes

1 box Pillsbury or Betty Crocker White or White cake mix
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup + 2 tbsp cake flour (NOT all-purpose flour)
1/4 tsp salt

1 1/3 cups water
4 egg whites
1/3 cup melted butter (unsalted)
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 tsp almond extract
Or
2 tsp vanilla extract
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. In a large bowl, put sour cream, melted butter, egg whites, and water. Mix well with paddle attachment. Add extract (if using), and blend.

2. In another bowl stir, mix cake mix, sugar, cake flour, and salt together. Put through sieve.

3. Place dry mixture in bowl with wet mixture and mix with paddle attachment at medium speed for approximately 2 minutes, or until most lumps are worked out. It is not necessary to work out all the lumps.

Pour into prepared pans and bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out
clean, or with just a crumb or two clinging to it.

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 6

I don't think I've ever seen an extender recipe with bp. Probably because there is already some in the cake mix. Most "doctored" recipes will produce a denser cake than just the straight mix.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 6

Double post.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 6

It's already in the cake mix. You do not need to add more. If you are new to baking, the best thing is to make the recipe as is first before you add stuff. And really, there is no need to create a poll. You are asking more of a question than a general opinion, IMO. And this could be why no one answered your poll.

EnglishCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnglishCakeLady Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 6

I made this very recipe last weekend (although it was a Cake Boss version) and I was not sure about the way it turned out. It was definitely denser than a usual mix and although my cocktail stick was clean, it had an undercooked quality in the centre when I cut the top off to level it. I wasn't sure if it was me, or the recipe - but given advice here, I'm guessing it's the recipe! It tasted nice though...

Jan1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan1956 Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

Thank you to all those responding to my post!
LindaF144a It's already in the cake mix. You do not need to add more. If you are new to baking, the best thing is to make the recipe as is first before you add stuff. And really, there is no need to create a poll. You are asking more of a question than a general opinion, IMO. And this could be why no one answered your poll.
Good to know, and yes I'm somewhat new to baking.
I just had to try using some added baking powder to the recipe (one quarter teaspoon). It turned out wonderfully light and delicious.
The kicker is the 12" and 16" rounds I baked were so difficult to handle and frost.
So now I know why you don't add bp to the cake mix. If you don't add it to the mix your cake will be firmer and easier to handle and frost, duhh!
Its call the Learn by doing method. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%