What Brand Of Fondant Do Aussie Bakers Prefer?

Decorating By TotallyAddictedToCake Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 3:47am by laurenboxall

TotallyAddictedToCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TotallyAddictedToCake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:18am
post #1 of 13

Hi all,
I've been using a brand of fondant from my local supermarket which has been drying out and cracking really quickly. I was wondering what the preferred brand of fondant is for cake decorators in Australia.

Cheers,
Sam

12 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:29am
post #2 of 13

I use Bakels, I like the texture better than the orchard that you can get in the supermarket I am assuming that is the brand you are talking about.

I hate cake art and only use it for dark colours and mix it with bakels to improve the workability.
I Have just tried some satinice , and it did mix well with the bakels but I thought it was a little soft by itself.

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:33am
post #3 of 13

I also only use Bakels (Pettinice). Im waiting to try the Satin Ice icon_smile.gif

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:57am
post #4 of 13

I've been using Orchid but thats because I'm in a rural area and its easier to get when I'm in a hurry. Really want to try Satin Ice too. Haven't tried Bakels (Pettinice) yet but I'm getting there. I'm only really a hobbyist at the moment but really want to branch out further.

TotallyAddictedToCake Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:31am
post #5 of 13

I'm in a remote/rural area as well, which is also why I've been using Orchid. I've been getting asked to do a few cakes for people lately and have been needing to make up my own modelling paste (CMC + fondant) which I've done using Orchid brand. It's really dry out here and I wasn't sure if it was the cheap(er) fondant, or the weather. Just not getting the results I would like. I think I'll try ordering in some Bakels, but like you, that requires a fair bit of forward thinking! lol

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 11:45am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyAddictedToCake

I'm in a remote/rural area as well, which is also why I've been using Orchid. I've been getting asked to do a few cakes for people lately and have been needing to make up my own modelling paste (CMC + fondant) which I've done using Orchid brand. It's really dry out here and I wasn't sure if it was the cheap(er) fondant, or the weather. Just not getting the results I would like. I think I'll try ordering in some Bakels, but like you, that requires a fair bit of forward thinking! lol

Great thing is it keeps for quite some time thumbs_up.gif

Chellescakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 13

I actually buy it through our local cake decorating branch. I am not sure if you are a member of a local branch or not. The bakels I buy in seven kilo boxes , Due to my health being not so good I don't take on many cakes so I cut up the box into kilo lots wrap them in glad wrap , a freezer bag and then a ziplock and pop them in the freezer, I have just bought a vacuum sealer so I can do this easier and won't have to keep it in the freezer.

What were you using the modelling fondant for ? was it for figures or flowers ?

Chellescakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 13

oh and if your fondant is a bit dry , add a little glycerine and or copha . just knead it through

KiwiMel1980 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KiwiMel1980 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:39pm
post #9 of 13

I only ever use Bakels, buy it 7kgs at a time, easy to work with and tastes good too.

TotallyAddictedToCake Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I actually buy it through our local cake decorating branch. I am not sure if you are a member of a local branch or not.

Didn't know there was such a thing. I'm new at this whole cake decorating gig. Lots and lots to learn!

Quote:

The bakels I buy in seven kilo boxes , Due to my health being not so good I don't take on many cakes so I cut up the box into kilo lots wrap them in glad wrap , a freezer bag and then a ziplock and pop them in the freezer, I have just bought a vacuum sealer so I can do this easier and won't have to keep it in the freezer.

I didn't know you could freeze fondant. Does it turn out okay?

Quote:

What were you using the modelling fondant for ? was it for figures or flowers ?

Figures

TotallyAddictedToCake Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #11 of 13

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Your knowledge is very much appreciated by a newbie!

Cheers,
Sam icon_smile.gif

Chellescakes Posted 18 Jun 2011 , 3:28am
post #12 of 13

yep fondant freezes fine , it stops it from drying out. I always freeze all my left over coloured fondant too as I find it great when I am doing modelling and you just need a small amount. I keep it in a big ziplock in the freezer and pull it out when I need it it defrosts quickly , then I pop it straight back when I am finished.

If you are having trouble with the fondant drying out too quick add a litttle copha as you work , if it is not strong enough or not drying or holding it's shape , add a bit more tylose.

laurenboxall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurenboxall Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:47am
post #13 of 13

I use both FondX and Bakels.
I find the FondX much easier to work with but a bit too soft for tiered cakes, so then I use 1/2 Bakels 1/2 FondX

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%