Should I Freeze My Cake??

Decorating By nanasmom Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm by jason_kraft

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 4:45am
post #1 of 6

I made cakes tonight (thursday) that I plan on buttercreaming tomorrow night. Should I bother freezing them?? Or can I just wrap well and leave out for 24 hours? The cake will be served on Sunday afternoon.

tX!

5 replies
vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:13am
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't freeze them. Wrap them up tight and they should be fine because once you put the butter cream on it tomorrow that will preserve it until Sunday. If I have a cake due on Saturday/Sunday I always bake Thursday afternoon/evening, wrap it up for the night and decorate on Friday and my cakes have never been dry. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

nanasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanasmom Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:26am
post #3 of 6

thanks vgray! I am making a my first cake for DD's birthday and am being overly ambitious!

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 5:32am
post #4 of 6

lol nothing wrong with that. I'm making a cake for my mom's b-day next week and I am determined to make a "present cake" with only buttercream! Good luck with your cake!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 6

I always freeze my layers, even if it's only overnight. I find that it makes for a very moist cake that's easy to work with when about 90% defrosted.

Freezing is actually better for a cake than refrigerating per baking scientists. Refrigerating accelerates the cake going stale. Freezing improves texture.

HTH
Rae

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 6

We also wrap and freeze our layers, since we usually bake one day and decorate the next.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%