Help! I Was The No Show!!!

Decorating By ConfectionsCC Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 12:24am by tokazodo

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:41am
post #1 of 12

O M G I am SOOOO embarrassed!!!! icon_redface.gif I had a wedding consultation about 2 weeks ago, where after the appointment, the groom decided to change the design of his cake. I was absolutly fine with this, but told them that meant an increase in the price and for this reason, I would need make a new contract reflect the new design and price....they agreeged no problem. So, he asked if today at 5:30 would be fine to meet half way (he scheduled this in plenty of notice) I said of course, yada yada, ill be there. Today rolls around...my son is VERY sick. Time has slipped away and come 7pm, I realize it, and log on to my email to find he did not have my #, so he emailed me telling me he was there. icon_cry.gif I immediately call him soooo embarrassed, apologized over and over and told him I will hand deliver it to him at his work at lunch time tomorrow. I am MORTIFIED. No matter what the excuse, no matter what the argument, it was very unprofessional of me to stand him up for a scheduled meeting time and place. He seemed okay, but I know if it were me, I would be calm outside, but BURNING UP inside and pissed that someone did this to me. I feel like I need to give him a discount on his cake for my negligence. Would this be taking it too far with the guilt? Or if its proper of me to offer a discount as an apology, how much? His cake order is a $250 cake. How much should I take off for this?? I know this could happen to anyone, but if it were me, I would expect the professional to show that they are sorry, not just say it...

11 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:46am
post #2 of 12

Aww, sweetie. I would offer him a 10% discount on his cake. If I were the client, I would think that was an appropriate gesture of remorse.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:52am
post #3 of 12

First of all, I hope your son is doing ok?

Second As a consumer,I probably would have cancelled my order and found a different baker, so honestly if he is still willing to have you as his service provider, I dont think he expects a discount. These things do happen, and if he has accepted your apology and hasn't asked for anything in return, i would just make sure it doesn't happen again.

ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakification

Second As a consumer,I probably would have cancelled my order and found a different baker, so honestly if he is still willing to have you as his service provider, I dont think he expects a discount. These things do happen, and if he has accepted your apology and hasn't asked for anything in return, i would just make sure it doesn't happen again.

thanks for asking, yes, he will be okay...keeping a fever and not throwing up anymore, but not eating yet icon_sad.gif
Secondly I SO AGREE. I think I am going to offer a $30 discount. I am just sick that I allowed this to happen! To some, it may just be one person, but in a small community, one upset customer could potentially ruin a business. I am new, the last thing I need if that the "new cake lady" sucks at customer service!

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #5 of 12

I would do a 5 or 10 percent discount. Its sooo worth it. I am one to not be okay with them just being okay but I want them to be completely happy and satisfied (as I am sure you do too). Its just a nice gesture even if he doesn't expect it. If he is perfectly fine with it he will probably tell people how you went over the top for him so you can't lose! icon_smile.gif I think its worth 25 bucks. Good luck with whatever you decide and take a deep breath. Something like this happens to everyone and if it hasn't it will. Hang in there!!!!

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:06am
post #6 of 12

You know, professional or not, things happen and sometimes life does get in the way. It sucks when it happens to us, but I knowI try to be understanding. That said, when someone is habitual, then it's a problem. I've spaced on an appointment before, not cake business, but I've had to make the call of shame. My friends and family still consider me reliable to a fault. Now my sister is a different story. She spaces 8 out of 10 get togethers. I would never trust her with anything important.

cakification Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakification Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:15am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakification

thanks for asking, yes, he will be okay...keeping a fever and not throwing up anymore, but not eating yet icon_sad.gif
Secondly I SO AGREE. I think I am going to offer a $30 discount. I am just sick that I allowed this to happen! To some, it may just be one person, but in a small community, one upset customer could potentially ruin a business. I am new, the last thing I need if that the "new cake lady" sucks at customer service!

Don't beAt yourself up! You don't "suck" at customer service! Your son was sick! It does happen, and you've done everything you can. Take a step back and remember it really isn't so terrible.
Glad to hear about your son, poor guy!

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:32am
post #8 of 12

Well, better today then the day of the wedding! I think the fact that you are so upset about it shows that you have integrity. I think a 5% to 10% discount would go a LONG way...I know it would for me, especially if I didn't even ask for it! Hope your son is all better soon.

ConfectionsCC Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:33am
post #9 of 12

Thanks yall! I am trying very hard not to beat myself up about this! After all, they are still booking their bridal and groom's cake with me, which shows they have SOME faith left I will provide! At the same time, the minute I begin to justify mistakes like this, I begin to break apart that hard work I put into letting people know that I am small for A GOOD REASON and that reason is to keep quantity low, but quality high. I think a glass of wine and some sleep might bring some calmness to my nerves! I am greatful though that ya'll are understanding and supportive! One reason I love my CC girlfriends and boyfriends!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 19 Jun 2011 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 12

Things happen. You apologized, he accepted, end of story. no need to feed into your guilt by giving him a discount.

wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:07am
post #11 of 12

I know this could happen to anyone, but if it were me, I would expect the professional to show that they are sorry, not just say it...[/quote]

I work in retail , and I know things happen , all kinds of things can go wrong . Your customer sounds like an ok guy . I would suggest you offer him a discount , maybe 10% . He will be more lightly to be a customer of yours in the future . How you deal with a problem like this will affect your future orders . Good Luck icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 12:24am
post #12 of 12

Sick kids happen. Don't beat yourself up over being a good parent.

There will be other cakes on other days. Family comes first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%