Marshmallow Fondant

Decorating By MasterPiecesCakeArt Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 10:33am by MasterPiecesCakeArt

MasterPiecesCakeArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasterPiecesCakeArt Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 6

I'm making a tool box cake for a boy's 5'th BD, and I'm going to use fondant to create the "wood box" toolbox, which will be applied to the cake. I was thinking about using MMF, but I need to cut out the tool box sides and allow them to harden before applying to the cake (they'll need to remain in an upright position). Does MMF dry hard like store-purchased?

5 replies
huskerfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huskerfan Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 6

I added wilton's gum tex to mine to help harden it when I made wood panels.

Lindsram Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsram Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 6

I use MMF panels a lot. Most recently on the castle cake in my pics. I just roll it out, cut to the size I need, wet BC a bit and just place on cake. I've never had an issue with slipping or being too soft.

cakeman76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeman76 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:06am
post #4 of 6

I have messed around with a few MMF figures and other things, and have never had a problem with it.

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 12:10am
post #5 of 6

If you're worried about the drying time, make it well in advance that way you can be sure that it's completely dry.

MasterPiecesCakeArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MasterPiecesCakeArt Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 10:33am
post #6 of 6

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate the advice. I like the gum tex suggestion, and since this is a "remote" cake, I'll certainly make everthing ahead of time and assemble locally. I made the MMF yesterday, and left out a small piece - which I rolled into a log - to dry. It's very firm this morning, but still slumps. We'll see what happens - fortunately I have enough time to play around.

Thanks again! Dan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%