French Buttercream Help

Decorating By joyfullysweet Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm by joyfullysweet

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 6

I recently started working at a local bakery. They use a french buttercream and I'm having a heck of a time getting it smooth on my cakes. I use a crusting buttercream at home and their buttercream does not crust. I don't know the exact recipe they use because I have not been taught yet how to make it, but I do know it contains butter and a simple syrup. I think it also includes shortening, but not sure because wouldn't that make it crust?

Anyway, I am looking for any helpful hints anyone can give me to help me with my smoothing. Viva towels are out, obviously, I really wouldn't be able to use a hot spatula either. I'm such a perfectionist and I hate how my cakes are turning out! I can bring my own tools. Any suggestions?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 6

Shortening wouldn't make a french buttercream crust.
Crusting in an American buttercream is related to the ratios of powdered sugar, fat, and liquid.

Generally, a butter based buttercream can be smoothed beautifully with a warmed spatula/bench scraper.

Rae

joyfullysweet Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 6

I usually use a hot spatula at home for my crusting buttercream, but I work next to my stove. I'm not close to anything at work to get my spatula hot. Anyone else have any smoothing/tool recommendations?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 6

You can dip the spatula in a bowl of hot water, quickly wipe it dry, & smooth.

You can hook up a hot pad next to where you're decorating, put a paper towel on it, and heat the spatula on it as necessary.

Rae

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

Can you put a container of hot hot water and a drying towel next to your work area and use 2 spatulas. One would stay in the hot water while you use the other one. Then you would switch out when one cooled off too much? The spatulas wouldn't get as warm as they would over a stove but if the water is hot enough it should work okay.

Or maybe use a heating pad turned up on high (remove the original cloth cover and use a clean kitch towel on it instead). just fold the heating pad over the spatulas to warm them.

joyfullysweet Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! I will definitely try both suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%