Very First Official Cake Order!!

Decorating By rowantree Updated 6 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm by rowantree

rowantree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowantree Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 2:59am
post #1 of 6

I've been making cakes for a while, both at the bakery I work for, and at home for family and friends, and today I got the first actual order for a cake that I'll get paid to make--and all the money will be mine! I don't have any problems with making just about anything, but I can't seem to decide what to do about this one. It's for an anniversary of a church deacon's ordination, and it also falls on Father's Day--this coming Sunday!

The good news (sort of) is that I only have to work on Saturday morning at the bakery--things are slow. So I have plenty of time to work on this one at home.

Here are the requirements: chocolate/white or yellow marble cake, buttercream frosting and my choice of filling, "Congratulations Deacon ___" and enough for about 100 people. I have total creative control after this.
They are ok with a sheet cake, or a tiered one, and I really would like to do a tiered one.

The deacon is an elderly man, but friendly and a happy sort, but serious about his vocation, so nothing goofy. The party will be in the church hall with members of the congregation, family and friends. This church is yoked with the one I work for as my other job, so I really want to do a nice cake for them.
So my question is what sort of colors and shapes would be suitable? I could easily do a round tiered thing, I have the Wilton Spiral stand and separator--would that be too girly? It's painted black for a wedding cake I did in March, but I could easily paint it white again, or some other color.

5 replies
sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:16am
post #2 of 6

You could make a Bible? icon_smile.gif

rowantree Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 3:33am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

You could make a Bible? icon_smile.gif

I thought about that, but The cake need to be pretty big, and I didn't think a huge bible would be appropriate. Maybe as part of a theme. I thought also of three rectangular tiers with the deacon's stole (in fondant or gumpaste) draped on (it's kind of like a diagonal sash, representative of his position). I've thought of just something simple with some "manly" flowers, like dark pink/tan or brownish tinted dogwoods, or just vines and leaves. Or maybe a poured ganache icing, and some geometric lines in light blue.

Just looking for some more ideas to toss around until I have to get down to actually making the thing! I should start tomorrow or Friday morning at the latest, it's due there Sunday morning.

Lili5768 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lili5768 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:24am
post #4 of 6

Your idea with the stole sounds very nice. You could maybe also do a small bible as a topper. Good luck!

rowantree Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:32am
post #5 of 6

Thanks, I'm liking it more and more. Now I'm going to go sleep on it and see what the morning will bring.

rowantree Posted 6 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I ended up doing a three tier marble cake with blue buttercream, and white, light blue and dark blue decorations of border and deacon's crosses. Everyone liked it, and I think it was a success, though his name got a little lost in the frosting!

Here's a pic:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%