Wasc Recipe

Decorating By Kread Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm by Kread

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 5

I made the original wasc recipe posted here on cake central (one vanilla, one chocolate cake), and it tasted chewy to me. Is this just how wasc recipes are (maybe since no oil)? Just seemed like a weird texture, but so many on here seem to like this recipe. Any suggestions to make it less chewy? Thanks!

4 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 5

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/1977/cake-mix-extender

This is the recipe that I use. It's the same basic idea, just using one cake mix. If you want the almond flavor then just replace the vanilla with almond.

EmilyJo9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EmilyJo9 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 5

Here is my recipe. It does have oil and it tastes SO good. Super moist, yet dense enough for carving 3D cakes.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake

1 box of Duncan Hines Cake Mix
1 cup AP flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons oil
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract

Combine the cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
Add the water, sour cream, vanilla extract, almond extract, and oil. Mix until combined.
Add the egg whites and mix on medium for 2 minutes.
Spray your baking pans.
Pour the batter into pans and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Use toothpick to check doneness.
This recipe yields enough batter for 2 8″ rounds.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 5

Not sure what you could have done that would result in a chewy cake. I've never considered the texture 'chewy' icon_sad.gif
It is a more dense, moist cake - formulated to compare to a 'scratch' pound cake recipe.
There are sooooooo many factors that can change a recipe's results: temp of ingredients; how the ingrediencts are put together; not measuring *accurately*; using inferiour(sp?)/other brands; oven temp being 'off' are just a few of them.

Not being there to see how you make the batter; baked it and actually taste the texture you object to it's hard to help you further.

Kread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kread Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the recipes,I'll try them next. The cake wasn't bad, just denser than plain box, so to me, it had more chew to iticon_smile.gif I tried one other recipe with sour cream that was more dense/chewy, so I was thinking maybe it was the sour cream. I think I'll try the recipe with the oil next. Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%