Strawberry Buttercream

Baking By JustGettinStarted Updated 22 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm by HappyCake10609

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:55am
post #1 of 9

Hi, I'd love to make some strawberry buttercream, but don't know the best way to go about doing it. I want to be able to swirl it on some cupcakes, so it needs to be firm enough for that. Any suggestions or do you have a favorite strawberry? What's better fresh strawberries, frozen, or jarred preserves?

8 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:07am
post #2 of 9

I just replace the liquid in my regular bc with pureed, deseeded strawberries. I use the "no sugar added" frozen ones. It's really, really good icon_biggrin.gif and you can definitely pipe a swirl with it.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:19am
post #3 of 9

I've done it with pureed fresh strawberries (as mentioned above, just replace the liquid in your recipe). But lately I've just been adding a good quality strawberry preserves to my regular buttercream recipe and it comes out soooo yummy. Just add it to taste, but I add maybe 1/4-1/3 C to one batch of buttercream? And yes, you can pipe a swirl with it!

JustGettinStarted Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 9

HappyCake, when using the strawberry preserves do you still use it in place of the liquid portion?

cakesmart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmart Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 9

I've tried it with strawberry extract, but the frosting was too sweet. The strawberry preserves sounds delish..I will definitely use them next time.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 9

I add SEEDLESS strawberry jam to my regular buttercream.

JustGettinStarted Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 9

Any certain brands you all prefer? I always eat Smuckers, so don't know if there is something better. Also, is this always in place of the liquid? Goingto use Indydebi's buttercream for it I believe. Will that work?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 9

There is only one brand of seedless jam in my store. Not sure who makes it.

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 22 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGettinStarted

Any certain brands you all prefer? I always eat Smuckers, so don't know if there is something better. Also, is this always in place of the liquid? Goingto use Indydebi's buttercream for it I believe. Will that work?

Sorry, I didn't see your question before!

No, when I add the preserves/jam to my buttercream I don't use it in place of the liquid, I just add it after the buttercream is made (on the thick side), then add my preserves and add a little more liquid if necessary. And Indydebi's buttercream recipe is the one I use when I don't use SMBC.

As far as the brand, Trappist is a good brand, the one I typically use I can't remember the name, but it has a red and white checkerboard lid and looks like you might buy it at a farmers market. I believe it is a french import, but I think it's available at most grocery stores. I like using the preserves because you can see the bits of fruit!

Hope that helps!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%