Why Did My Cake Get Wet And Looked Like It Started To Welt?

Decorating By vero23 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 2:01am by yummy_in_my_tummy

vero23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vero23 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:16am
post #1 of 8

I made this cake a night before...covered both tiers with mmf and started to decorate ..and started seeing that the bottom of each tier started to look wet and it was sticky...so i put them in the fridge and only had out the tier i was working on and took turns putting in and out of the fridge cuz it helped make each tier dry and hard..i finished decorating and didnt pull the cake out till 1/2 hr before the cake was cut because i was afraid of it getting wet again and welt..u can see the dents a little on the tiers and how wet shiny it got...why did this happen?was it becasue the cakes were covered in sweet icing? or the filling was chocolate mousse?help this was my first cake and i was asked to do a baby shower one but im afraid of this happening again..pls look @ my pics and see its the 2nd photo,,its a closer look of my cake..

7 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:52am
post #2 of 8

In my experience icing (All kinds) are more likely to get moist/wet/runny/sweat at night and if it's a rainy night its even worst. The weather has alot to do with how your icing behaves. On cold wet nights you need stiffer icing or just don't bother.

By putting the cake in and out of the fridge, you may have added to the problem. Yes the cake would be perfect in the fridge but if you cant keep the humidity away from the cake until it goes back up to room temp. you would be doing more harm than good.

I'm assuming the atmostphere was responsible for your problem but it could be something else as well. Could be that your fondant just wasn't firm enough to begin with.

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:53am
post #3 of 8

It could've been that your fondant started to "sweat", normally u don't put a fondant covered cake in the fridge (or at least I don't) because once u take it out and it comes to room temperature condensation starts to happen and thats what cause the fondant to glisten and get wet....I put my cakes in the freezer before I apply the fondant but only for about 10 minutes, or while u roll out the fondant you're going to cover it with, and don't put it back in. HTH!

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #4 of 8

Hmm...hard to say. General condensation? When it happens to me, I just run a paper towel over it. I can't tell what you mean by welts by the picture - but is it like a swelling? I call them tumors, or cake zits - but usually you can slide a toothpick thru it, and slowly push it down. I'm in Texas, where cream cheese icing frequently gets tumors.

vero23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vero23 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 8

So if i were to leave the cake out all through the whole process it will be ok? i live in california..pretty fair weather right now..the iced caked were nive hard and firm at first but by the time I added the mmf i noticed the icing was a bit softer...so when i was smoothing the fondant over each tier i felt the fondant started getting wet sticky towrds the bottom only so thats why i decided to stick them in the fridge..thanks for the help..what should i do for my next cake so this wont happen...i know my friend also wants to have her cake out for show ,therefore i am really nervous the cake falling apart..oh yeah..before i stacked the 2nd tier i put 3 plastic dowel rods then covered it with frosting ..then smooth it out..covered that tier with the fondant...then i stacked the 2nd tier..should i use a crdboard in between?

Brevity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brevity Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:09am
post #6 of 8

Cardboard, yes.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:46am
post #7 of 8

also, the supports go in AFTER the fondant goes on.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

I would have to say it was condensation. I dont ever put my cakes in the fridge and I make sure they're at room temp before I crumb coat and cover in fondant. And as Leah_S said, you want to dowel after you put the fondant on, because your dowels should all be the same height, even with the fondant so the top tier sits on top of the dowels and doesn't put any weight on the bottom tier icon_smile.gif Very cute cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%