How Do I Make Snow Texture On 4 Tier Cake, Not Coconut

Decorating By briannasparrot Updated 2 Apr 2014 , 6:23pm by AZCouture

briannasparrot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannasparrot Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 17

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake and the bride would like the sides and top to have a snow texture to it. She does not like coconut and I need to use something that will stick to the cake. The spray on shimmer is not textured enough for her. Does anyone have any ideas as it will be all over the cake so it needs to taste good too. she sent me this picture as her inspiration but it looks like coconut.

16 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 17

I used sanding sugar on this cake. See the description.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1168552

briannasparrot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannasparrot Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 17

I am still fairly new to this but can the sanding sugar be found easily? I think the glitter gel I have but not sure if Ive seen sanding sugar. Im assuming brush the gel on light coat and then dust with the sanding sugar?

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 17

can you use grated/microplaned white chocolate? Good luck!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:58am
post #5 of 17

get some fondant , and break it up into little bits on a tray or baking paper. let it dry out , break it up into smaller pieces and let it dry out again, I then put it through a sieve , and you have edible snow. I sometimes add a little edible glitter to it just to give it a bit of a shine.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:26am
post #6 of 17

This is what shaved white choc will look like.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:27am
post #7 of 17

Sorry pic won't post.

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 10:51am
post #8 of 17

You can get the sanding sugar at any craft store or WalMart, I think. Good luck!

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 17

i've seen this done with the little tiny solid white nonparils, granted, you would need quite a bit, so i would order from a supply company by the 1/4 and 1/2 lb. instead of the little bottles. I would imagine you can fondant the cake, put it out to sweat or steam it, set it ontop of a drying rack that has been placed on a large cake pan to catch the leftovers and pat them onto the cake.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:25pm
post #10 of 17

i've seen this done with the little tiny solid white nonparils, granted, you would need quite a bit, so i would order from a supply company by the 1/4 and 1/2 lb. instead of the little bottles. I would imagine you can fondant the cake, put it out to sweat or steam it, set it ontop of a drying rack that has been placed on a large cake pan to catch the leftovers and pat them onto the cake.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 17

As was mentioned earlier, sanding sugar is available at most any craft store that carries cake decorating supplies.

You don't need to use the glitter gel. Regular piping gel would work just fine.

Re the nonpareils - here's a pic of nonpareils stuck onto royal icing. It's not snow, but it will give you an idea of the look.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1801447/1801464

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 17

I used large sugar crystals on this 4-tier Christmas wedding cake. I ordered them from CK Products (Country Kitchen) in Ft. Wayne.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1540744

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #13 of 17

I would use sugar crystals. I made a 3 tier wedding cake with them (in my photo's) and it turned out awesome. After applying icing (I used buttercream) I just poured the crystals into my hand and, with a rolling upward motion, applied them to the cake. No piping gel needed and it worked really well. Good Luck!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:27pm
post #14 of 17

I used shaved white chocolate on this cake! I didn't use mine as snow, but it can look like it.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1710787

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 17

I just wrote a huge explantion and then my dog erased it. Damn dog! So here is the short version.
Thin royal icing on parchment paper, let dry, and then crush it. Put it on the side of the cake for texture and then luster dust it.
I have done it, but no pictures. Sorry

Chic-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chic-Sweets Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 5:50pm
post #16 of 17

Do you have a photo of this technique?  Would love to see...Thanks!

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Apr 2014 , 6:23pm
post #17 of 17

A

Original message sent by julzs71

I have done it, but no pictures. Sorry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%